The Spring Practice Enigma

When I was a student, and then for many years afterwards, the Spring game was wonderful. A chance to see my Huskers on the field of play. That was about the extent of it...one more opportunity after a long winter break...to see the Huskers playing football....and to be part of tens of thousands of other fans watching them.

Then I made the mistake of thinking I knew a little bit about football...a little more than just the casual fan in the seats.

As I watched the Spring game it lost that good feeling and started to just simply confuse me.

Were the 1s playing the 1s? If not, how could I really tell what was going on?

If the defense looked excellent, then I immediately doubted the offense. If the offense blew it up, then I fretted about the defense.

If the #1 offense couldn't move against the #2 defense..did that mean the #1 offense sucked, or did it mean the #2 defense should maybe be first team?

Now this year....I got caught up in a bit of the POB hype. Couldn't watch the game, but from the comments, he didn't heal the sick or raise the dead today as we thought he might. So now...should I be happy that he didn't shine...since that would cause a QB controversy...or should I be concerned that none of the QBs looked very good and we'll probably have another bad year.

Jeez this is confusing. Wish I was just a fan again.

I wouldn't draw much at all from a spring game scrimmage. It's just that; it's probably even less valuable than NFL preseason games in terms of predicting what the fall will be like.

It's just something to cap spring practice with a little fun for all.

Seems to have turned into more of a recruiting tool. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.