New Republic: the way power works in the Democratic Party

https://newrepublic.com/article/137798/important-wikileaks-revelation-isnt-hillary-clinton

This is a fight over who dominates the Democratic Partys policy thinking in the short and long term. In 2008 the fight was invisible and one-sided, and the fix was in. In 2016 both sides are angling to get Clinton to adopt their framework. Those predisposed to consider Clinton some neoliberal sap might not agree, but this is actually a live ball. Presidents lead coalitions, and they have to understand where their coalition is and how things change over time. Peter Orszag this week suggested a trade-off: Give the Warren wing its choices on personnel, in exchange for more leeway to negotiate an infrastructure package with Republicans that gives big tax breaks to corporations with money stashed overseas. While that deal needs more detail, it reveals the power the Warren wing has, relative to the Obama era, to make significant strides on appointments.

I'm glad that people like Elizabeth Warren ("Personnel is policy") are getting a say in this. That said, I'm also glad there are people who might disagree with her. Many voices ought to be considered, and I'm all for a healthy, credible challenge to existing fixtures. I also don't have too much of an opinion (yet) on how this one plays out.