Recruiting:K-State doesn’t have commitment problem

K-State doesn’t have commitment problem

By HOWARD RICHMAN

The Kansas City Star

When a high school student gets pulled out of class, it probably signals trouble.

But when it happened in late January to Jayson Cuba of Newton, Kan., who was in chemistry, this encounter was more about Cuba’s football skills than his report card. Kansas State offensive coordinator James Franklin had come to visit Cuba, but he didn’t stay very long.

“He pulled me out of class for about three seconds, shook my hand, said, ‘Nice to meet you, I got to go,’ ” Cuba said last week. “I thought it was a little strange.”

Cuba, a linebacker/running back, returned to class. After school, he got a phone call. It was Franklin.

“He said: ‘We’d like to make you an offer. A full ride.’ I accepted on the spot,” Cuba said.

What makes Cuba’s story intriguing is that he wasn’t accepting a scholarship for the upcoming fall. No, this was all about the 2007 class. In fact, Cuba became the first commitment of that 2007 class a week before signing day for the 2006 class. In the past, K-State never was among the front-runners when it came to landing early oral commitments. On former coach Bill Snyder’s watch, K-State made most of its recruiting headway in December and January.

At the pace new coach Ron Prince is handling it, the Wildcats’ 2007 class could be complete by the Big 12 conference opener Sept. 30 at Baylor. As of Saturday, the Wildcats had collected 13 oral commitments for 2007, according to Rivals.com. Only Texas, with 19, has more among Big 12 teams. Kansas and Missouri each have two. Nationally, USC has five. Notre Dame and Florida have four apiece.

So, is that a good or bad sign? Are the Wildcats beating their rivals to recruits, or are they going after players few top programs want?

“That (K-State) staff is aggressive in almost everything they do,” said Jeremy Crabtree, recruiting editor for Rivals.com, who has not yet rated 2007 prospects. “Sometimes you have to be aggressive when you’re trying to rebuild. This isn’t the slow, methodical way K-State used to go about it.”

Allen Wallace, national recruiting editor for Scout.com and SuperPrep magazine, takes the opposite standpoint.

“A lot of people pointed to the demise of Penn State a few years back when they offered so many kids so early,” he said. “(Coach Joe) Paterno was up to 20 commitments by the time the season started, but it turned out he wasn’t signing all the right guys.”

In K-State’s case, Wallace said the Wildcats will have a hard time going head-to-head with a school such as Texas for top recruits. But he said offering so many scholarships this early could be beneficial — if K-State has thoroughly done its homework.

“It comes down to evaluation. If you’ve made the right evaluations, what Kansas State is doing is the best strategy in the world,” Wallace said. “On the other hand, a coach once told me the quickest way to hurt yourself is taking guys not ready to play. That can hurt you more than guys you miss out on. Guys that are insufficient are what kill you.”

The Wildcats are banking on several players whose first offer came from K-State. Among them are placekicker Josh Cherry of McCook, Neb.; offensive linemen Clyde Aufner of Raymore-Peculiar and Kaleb Drinkgern of Marysville, Kan.; and Wichita Bishop Carroll linebacker Kevin Rohleder.

Then there’s the commitment from defensive end Tyrone Sonier of Marshall High School in Missouri City, Texas, where the team finished 9-1 last season and had 10 players sign with Division I colleges. Sonier was a reserve in 2005 but played behind Sean Estelle, who will be a freshman at Texas Tech and Brandon Cooper, who’ll be a freshman at Mississippi State.

Sonier’s teammate, defensive back Kendrick Marshall, also made an oral commitment to K-State. Marshall High School assistant coach Michael O’Guin said that since the Wildcats got those two commitments last week, other schools have tried to enter the picture, such as Missouri, Michigan State, North Carolina and Indiana.

“I sent out 35 tapes to schools. Kansas State took a progressive approach and didn’t drag its feet,” O’Guin said. “K-State saw what it liked and pulled the trigger.”

Olathe East coach Jeff Meyers perceives K-State’s staff as being prepared.

“The very first time their coaches came in here, each one of them knew my kids’ names and positions. And that’s not from talking to me,” Meyers said. “It wasn’t, ‘Hey coach, who do you have?’ They’re sending a message that it’s going to be hard to outwork them.”

K-State is pursuing established seniors-to-be such as Olathe East running back Demetrius Bell, who rushed for more than 1,800 yards and 23 touchdowns last season. The Wildcats also are going after Nashville, Ark., all-state quarterback A.J. Whitmore and Hazelwood West standout Lamark Brown, a running back/safety in the St. Louis area, who Crabtree said could enter the fall as the No. 1- or No. 2-ranked player in Missouri.

Harrisonville defensive end Michael Keck and Columbia Rock Bridge quarterback Logan Gray are considering the Wildcats, as well. But they will have to be at their best in the recruitment process because the competition is fierce.

“USC is coming in to see Michael,” said Harrisonville coach Fred Bouchard, adding that currently K-State, MU and Nebraska are together in the lead for Keck, with KU not far behind. “(KU coach) Mark Mangino said, ‘This is a special kid, coach.’ He’s one of these kids that talentwise don’t come along very often.”

As for Gray, K-State has offered him, according to Rock Bridge coach and former MU player A.J. Ofodile. Gray is being recruited by K-State defensive line coach Mo Latimore, who was on the Tigers’ staff when Ofodile played there.

Gray is 6 feet 2, 175 pounds, and threw for more than 2,100 yards and 25 touchdowns last year. Schools such as Florida, Georgia and Tennessee are making their pitches for Gray.

“The recruiting process has accelerated so much since I played,” Ofodile said. “The thing I will say about K-State is it has been comprehensive in its approach. They send information, use text messaging, and invite guys to the campus. They understand how to establish a connection with kids.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early birds

Big 12 Conference football schools, and the number of known commitments for 2007 as of Saturday afternoon, according to Rivals.com.

School Tot.

Texas 19

K-State 13

Texas A&M 6

Kansas 2

Missouri 2

Oklahoma 2

Okla. State 2

Texas Tech 2

Baylor 1

Colorado 1

Iowa State 1

Nebraska 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reach Howard Richman, K-State reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4701 or send e-mail to hrichman@kcstar.com

I think OKC's comment was based on KSU's numbers. They are more quantity, than quality. I have heard that out of their 13 commitments, only like two have multiple D-1 offers. Not to say that the others won't pick some up down the road, but it sounds like they are doing battle with the likes of TCU, Indiana, and Iowa St. for recruits. But 13 is still a great number for a new staff.

I think OKC's comment was based on KSU's numbers.  They are more quantity, than quality.  I have heard that out of their 13 commitments, only like two have multiple D-1 offers.  Not to say that the others won't pick some up down the road, but it sounds like they are doing battle with the likes of TCU, Indiana, and Iowa St. for recruits.  But 13 is still a great number for a new staff.

:yeah Texas had them lining up after winning it all. K st. seems to be grabbing about anyone who will say yes.

Guest greenbayhusker

Maybe they learned that it's classier (and usually easier) to recruit high school players who haven't committed to another college. Then again, I'm sure they haven't completed their quota for drama queens!

:restore