NotreDame WR Samardzija

SouthBendTribune: NotreDame WR Samardzija mulls baseball draft Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ND duo mulls baseball draft

FORREST MILLER

Tribune Staff Writer

Jeff Samardzija and Jeff Manship, along with their parents and advisors, have done all their homework regarding next week's baseball draft.

Now they are trying to concentrate on their college careers. Both will have an impact on whether the Irish survive in the NCAA Regional tournament in Lexington, Ky.

"I know that both would like to sign professionally after the season ends, even though they have eligibility remaining,'' said Notre Dame coach Paul Mainieri.

"As long as they get the type of financial situation they are looking for, I will support their decision as long as they promise me they will come back and get their degrees.

"Samardzija has told the professional scouts that there is no dollar amount that would prevent him from playing his final season of football."

Samardzija also made that point clear. If he signs a professional baseball contract soon, his first season will be short considering he will have to report for football in early August.

"I'll be back playing football, no matter what," said Samardzija. "There is nothing that can take me away from playing football with all my buddies. I owe it to them to be there and something would be wrong with me if I didn't show up. I'm just living two lives at Notre Dame and taking it as it comes.

"There might be someone else in my situation who wants to sell out and take the money, but that's not the type of person I want to be around. I definitely don't want to be looked at like that."

Concerning the draft, Samardzija said he doesn't have any numbers or rounds in mind.

Manship is a little more specific on that point.

"I think I would have to be picked in the top three rounds," said Manship.

"Manship has the best curve ball I've ever coached," said Mainieri.

Baseball America's latest draft preview, which includes high school players, lists Samardzija as No. 37 and Manship as No. 111.

Excerpts from Baseball America's evaluation of Samardzija:

"If Samardzija were solely a baseball player he'd be much more advanced as a pitcher and a lock first-rounder...He has exciting potential in both sports. His fastball has increased from 89-92 mph in 2005 to 91-94 mph this year, touching 96 on occasion.

"He has scrapped a sloppy curve ball in favor of an 81-84 mph slider. He still has a lot of work to do on the mound. He gets hit more than he should because his control and command are works in progress...He has made it clear to baseball teams that he will at least explore the NFL next spring. While baseball clubs can give him a heavily back-loaded five-year deal as a two-sport star, few want to risk an early draft pick on a player who might walk away in a year. He makes the most sense to a team that has extra picks and can afford to gamble one, or a team with few picks that wants to try to hit a home run.''

Attendance update

A recent item concerning Notre Dame's average home baseball attendance of 2,514 was incorrect.

That figure ranked 11th among Baseball America's top 25 teams that week, not in the entire nation.

In a sampling of 69 noteworthy teams this week, the Irish ranked 22nd -- a figure that could do down because some are hosting regionals and Notre Dame is not.

The noteworthy teams met at least one of these criteria: Currently receiving votes in a national poll, among the top 25 leaders in 2005 average attendance, or from the ACC SEC, Pac 10 or Big 12.

Kentucky, host to Notre Dame, College of Charleston and Ball State in a regional starting Friday, averaged 1,383.