Ex-husker trying out for the bucs

http://www.theomahachannel.com/cfoot553/35...536/detail.html

Frost Is Footballer For Life

Former Husker Trying Out For Bucs

POSTED: 11:20 a.m. CDT July 27, 2004

UPDATED: 11:47 a.m. CDT July 27, 2004

OMAHA, Neb. -- Four NFL training camps open Tuesday. The Panthers, Rams, Broncos and Bears get started this week, with Tampa Bay starting Saturday.

Video

Video: Frost Has Journeyman's Career

A former Husker is fighting to make the Buccaneer roster. Scott Frost joined the Bucs last year and hopes to play in Tampa again. It's the latest chapter in a journeyman career.

Frost is best known for his years at Nebraska. He cemented his place in Husker history in 1997 when he was quarterbacking the big red to a national title.

Ever since, Frost has quietly remained a part of the game, toiling professionally as a reserve defensive back.

"I've had a good career in the NFL -- a long career," Frost said. "This will be year seven for me. It's exciting. It's not as much fun as college football. But I'll do it until they kick me out. They're going to have to throw me out of the league before I quit."

Frost made the switch to safety immediately following his senior year of college. Despite numerous injuries, he's performed well enough to stick with four different teams since.

"The average NFL career is under three years now. I think things could have gone a lot better in my career than they did. But they could have gone a lot worse. I'm lucky to have played as long as I have. I'd like to have at least one more good year in the NFL before I even think about giving up," he said.

And giving up the NFL won't necessarily mean giving up football. Frost would like to return to his roots and end his career as a quarterback.

"I'd probably consider going up to Canada when I was done playing in the NFL. If it was soon enough that I still feel like I could do it. I never really gave that a chance, and like I said, they're going to have to throw me out of football. I'm not going to be a quitter," Frost said.

Frost knows he's not a shoo-in to make the Bucs roster. He thinks it will come down to him or John Howell at the safety spot. Howell is another Nebraska native and one of Frost's best friends.