BYU Football: Nebraska Q&A with CornNation.com

NUance

GettyImages-460861364.0.jpg
BYU Football: Nebraska Q&A with CornNation.com
By Jake Welch  @BYUAllBlue on Sep 4, 2015, 6:05a
<snip>
Vanquish the Foe: Nebraska's "blackshirt defense" didn't quite live up to their moniker last year as they yielded 177 rushing yards per game. Who in the Nebraska front seven will play a key role in slowing BYU's rushing attack?
CornNation.com:
Andy: Maliek Collins will become familiar to you quickly. And if Mike Rose-Ivey has fully recovered from knee surgery, you'll find him on your radar as well.
Ranchbabe: Andy beat me to it again. He is right, but I will draw your attention to Collins' and Rose-Ivey's counterparts. Vincent Valentine (the other DT) is a monster of a human being and is exceptional at occupying space. He might not be able to move like MC, but if you follow NFL football, think "Pot Roast". I give you VV. Also, middle linebacker Josh Banderas is a legacy talent at Nebraska (his dad played tight end in the late 80's). He has had a mixed career up until now, but I am a bit more optimistic than most at his potential. I attribute a good chunk of his struggles to the previous administration. I guess we'll know soon.
Also - do not take your eyes off Nate Gerry. While a safety, and not technically part of the front seven, he was used as a LB his freshman year for a reason (mostly because of depth, but also because he likes to tackle).
Husker Mike: I suspect that Michael Rose-Ivey is going to wind up being the unnamed defensive starter who is suspended this week. That's going to put a lot of pressure on the line to hold up and make plays. Keep an eye on Jack Gangwish, a former walk-on who emerged out of nowhere last season as a key backup.
Joe Canale: Don't try to run up the middle. Valentine and Collins. Also wouldn't suggest throwing from the middle. Avoid the middle.

LINK

Writers from CornNation weigh in on a number of topics in this Q&A.

• Fire 1