HQW, Week 3: So Miss post mortem

ericredlogo.gif

--------------------------------------------

Husker Quarterback Weekly #3: So Miss post mortem

Sun Sept 12, 2004

--------------------------------------------

Now before we all jump on the “Fire Callahan, Dump Joe Dailey” bandwagon let’s consider the following. We had close to a half dozen turnovers and still had a chance of victory. Give credit to Southern Miss for causing so many. NU star tight-end dropped a game winning touchdown. Without this offense in place, we wouldn’t have even come close to the end zone, that So. Miss defense would have kicked our ass. Folks welcome to the greatest ride on Earth: The 2004 Nebraska Cornhuskers.

This is exactly why Callahan has repeatedly said over and over again that this offense needs a great QB, RB and WR. I think we have one position filled. But in a game this close we needed a bust out Wide Receiver. Someone who we could toss a five yard hitch to and let him break an ankle and scoot for six or break out of the gates for a long bomb. A game breaker. A QB with the experience of leading a two minute offense with the field presence to know when and where to throw and to run. We don’t have this right now, but we knew that coming into the season. Thinking we were going to run up and down the field on anyone we step on the field with was absurd. It’s fun to think that way because we’re Cornhuskers. We always win, especially at home.

Dailey appeared rattled at times, but still came back. He did lead two drives down inside the redzone, going over 40 yards before the turnover and that blown 4th down scamper. These are the growing pains of a first year quarterback who has just completed his second game of his career, where he did throw for over two hundred yards. I know it’s extremely difficult, but there are a lot of good things that we did in this game.

Ross was phenomenal, even when it seemed he was hurt, he continued to come back play after play and work for every single, f'ing yard. Damn I’m proud of him. That’s courage, that’s the true grit of this football team. We don’t have the athletes to compete with a lot of these bigger teams. We have to outwork them, and fight. Green lost a very crucial fumble, but at least it was on a play where he was scratching and crawlin for every inch. That’s balls and character. How about Mulkey, throwing his body in front of the ball and then getting leveled, that’s guts. That’s a Cornhusker. F**k I’m thrilled now. I’m a satisfied person. I’m a proud fan. I’m a proud University of Nebraska Cornhusker football fan.

Sincerely

Eric the Red

P.S. And if none of this helps, Mizzou lost and most of all, the one thing that will help cure a Nebraska hangover loss is a Kansas State dump. And boy did they ever. Fresno 45 f#*k head douchbags 21, in the little crapper, Manhattan, KS

Amen to all of that. What I'd love to see are a couple of 6'4" to 6'6" receivers with at least 4.5 speed. Guys that allow you to throw the ball up for grabs and can come down with it everytime. We have some receivers that are great possession receivers - who'll go over the middle and give up their body for the team - but we don't have that one or two gamebreakers that can't be defended. That would help tremendously.

We're not that far away - just a piece here and there, a little more coaching sinking in, and we're back completely.

What I'd love to see are a couple of 6'4" to 6'6" receivers with at least 4.5 speed. Guys that allow you to throw the ball up for grabs and can come down with it everytime.

I think we'll have some of them coming in next year. At least some guys who have played in a passing system.

Thanks for that article. I needed that after this game. I was jumping, cursing and cheering so loud my wife had to shut the windows so the neighbors wouldn't hear.

Ross was a stallion. Big Heart. Green can move, he out ran a couple people on that toss sweep play they ran about a half dozen times.

Good times to come fans. Keep the faith.

So much to say.

First, we didn't get beat. I hate to be the douche bag that points out the difference between losing and getting beat, but there is a difference. We lost this one. But at least we didn't get beat.

To the contrary, we had almost twice as many yards and more than twice as many first downs. Kudos to the offense, it's working like a f'ing charm. Everybody knows that turnovers will kill you (and if there is anybody out there stupid enough to second guess the West Coast offense, understand that it's a ball control offense, and five turnovers is NOT controlling the ball). The rushing game hasn't looked this good in years. The attack is balanced, and that's refreshing.

I'm a little scared about this road game. Hopefully we can make all our shifts and motion effectively in a hostile environment. Who the hell knows, it might be good for Joe to get a road game under his belt and settle down a bit. He's just trying so damn hard. You have to admire his character. I think Barrett Ruud said it best: "I think Joe's getting a little sick of everyone patting him on the back and telling him it's OK." I agree. He's going to go forward. Norvell said that when they watched film, he saw that we left at least 600 more yards of offense out on the field, we just didn't find the open man.

The defense has to cause more turnovers, and they know it.

And, as far as game breakers go, we missed Amos big time. We also signed a big time juco from New Mexico. A kid that plays receiver, runs a 4.2 (no sh#t, a 4.2) and has a 38" vertical jump (no sh#t, a 38" vertical, I swear). He was at the game Saturday, and said that when Nebraska lost the game, he felt like he lost. He signed before he got on the plane Sunday to leave. They say he might play both sides of the ball.

Now is the time to pull together, fans. The rest of you fair-weather a$$hole$ can clear off the bandwagon right now, nobody needs you anyway. And while I'm on the topic of fans, I applaud everyone in the Norteast end zone for the standing ovation as Southern Miss. left the field. They deserved it.

c-husker

(the C stands for cautiouslyoptimistic)

So much to say.

First, we didn't get beat. I hate to be the douche bag that points out the difference between losing and getting beat, but there is a difference. We lost this one. But at least we didn't get beat.

To the contrary, we had almost twice as many yards and more than twice as many first downs. Kudos to the offense, it's working like a f'ing charm. Everybody knows that turnovers will kill you (and if there is anybody out there stupid enough to second guess the West Coast offense, understand that it's a ball control offense, and five turnovers is NOT controlling the ball). The rushing game hasn't looked this good in years. The attack is balanced, and that's refreshing.

I'm a little scared about this road game. Hopefully we can make all our shifts and motion effectively in a hostile environment. Who the hell knows, it might be good for Joe to get a road game under his belt and settle down a bit. He's just trying so damn hard. You have to admire his character. I think Barrett Ruud said it best: "I think Joe's getting a little sick of everyone patting him on the back and telling him it's OK." I agree. He's going to go forward. Norvell said that when they watched film, he saw that we left at least 600 more yards of offense out on the field, we just didn't find the open man.

The defense has to cause more turnovers, and they know it.

And, as far as game breakers go, we missed Amos big time. We also signed a big time juco from New Mexico. A kid that plays receiver, runs a 4.2 (no sh#t, a 4.2) and has a 38" vertical jump (no sh#t, a 38" vertical, I swear). He was at the game Saturday, and said that when Nebraska lost the game, he felt like he lost. He signed before he got on the plane Sunday to leave. They say he might play both sides of the ball.

Now is the time to pull together, fans. The rest of you fair-weather a$$hole$ can clear off the bandwagon right now, nobody needs you anyway. And while I'm on the topic of fans, I applaud everyone in the Norteast end zone for the standing ovation as Southern Miss. left the field. They deserved it.

c-husker

(the C stands for cautiouslyoptimistic)

Awesome post. Sums up a lot of what I have been trying to say in some of the other posts here lately.