HQW #5: Pitt yawner

Guest Huskerboard

Guest Huskerboard

ericredlogo.gif

--------------------------------------------

Husker Quarterback Weekly #5: Pitt Yawner

Mon Sept 20, 2004

It’s amazing how turnovers play such an important part of the game. Pitt out-gained Nebraska and lost, NU out gained So Miss and lost. Fundamental of the game.

I could tell by the responses (or lack thereof) on the board this past weekend, that everyone had the same type of feeling about the game. God damn that was a boring game. Reminded me of 2001 Notre Dame, or 1998 down in California, just so bland. Either deliver the finally blow, or let the other team back in the game, make it worth my time. It’s tough to say that because I never feel that way during or after the game. But it was a “W.”

Last week, according to Norvell, we left about 600 yards worth of offense on the field. Well this week we left about 28 points out of the end zone. Totally disagree with Callahan’s decision to kick the field goal on the 6 inch line. Despicable and uncharacteristic of a coach who prides himself on making short yardage anytime, anywhere. Give it to our 250 pound fullback. Score should have been 42-7 at the end of the first half. Score once or twice in the second half and call it a day.

Pilkington had his finger up his ass as well as Horne. Ross P. had his chance and sh#t it down the side of his leg. Missed several key slant patterns on critical downs in or near the end zone. Horne looked slow, undeceive, hesitant and flat. Hope you at least got laid before you got pulled over for drinkin’, you f****. Our two top receivers catch the ball and it’s a rout.

The line struggled for the first time and the absence of Incognito has reared its ugly head. Mann had two holding calls. But on the flip side Joe D probably had his best game as a Husker. One turnover and put the ball on the money. Scored on a rush and threw for another.

Defense was solid. They saved our ass again. If Fabian’s injury is more serious than first thought, NU has major problems. Their two top corners are out with injuries. Teams like Mizzou, Texas Tech and Oklahoma are gonna eat us alive. But as the game went along our rush was virtually nonexistent. Carriker’s injury hurts. Our linebackers are nice, that includes Cooper, but we need a rush.

Week off comes at the perfect time. We need to get the defense healed. If we expect any post season thrill, we need each and every guy. This also gives the coaches time to get out and recruit, something I believe we are certainly excelling at.

In the end, all that came from the game was a “W,” but then again isn’t that everything?

Have Faith, GBR

Eric "the Red"

Horne looked slow, undeceive, hesitant and flat.

Iwonder if it would have been better to put Brandon Jackson in the game since he has a more straight ahead approach. He doesn't cut all the time, not his style. They may have worked better than having Ross slip all over.

I hate to add to all the hating madness, but I have never liked Horne. I'm sure I never will. I can't put my finger on it. But amen to the fact that Jackson at least deserved a whiff on the field. To be honest, I didn't think our line was so bad, it's just that Ross's style is so dependent on the cut that he couldn't make. Plus, this is the first decent defense we've played so far (I'm still shocked that So. Miss's Defense was so bad).

All in all, it's like they said in the Journal Star. We're 2-1. We should be 3-0. We easily could be 1-2. We'll take what we've accomplished and relish the week off.

c-husker

(the C stands for C-ya in October)

I hate to add to all the hating madness, but I have never liked Horne. I'm sure I never will. I can't put my finger on it. But amen to the fact that Jackson at least deserved a whiff on the field. To be honest, I didn't think our line was so bad, it's just that Ross's style is so dependent on the cut that he couldn't make. Plus, this is the first decent defense we've played so far (I'm still shocked that So. Miss's Defense was so bad).

All in all, it's like they said in the Journal Star. We're 2-1. We should be 3-0. We easily could be 1-2. We'll take what we've accomplished and relish the week off.

c-husker

(the C stands for C-ya in October)

that about sumz it up for me too eric.

c-husker you make some good points but saying Pitts D was the best weve faces is ridicuolous. so miss was actually pretty stout - afterall they caused the TOs - pitt didnt. and we straight dominated pitts D most of the game until Coach call put his playbook up his ass to try "not to lose the game" instead of cont to win.

IMO if anyone dserves cred its hurriance hugo or whatever the Flip b/c Pitts D is a pile of sh#t. :flush

I wouldn't say it's ridiculous to say that Pitt's Defense is the best we've faced. I'd say they were about equal to Southern Miss. I think overall Pitt had a better defense but I think Southern Miss had a couple of players who were outstanding and beat us by themselves. Neither one was half as good as our defense. Thats how sad our offense is.