Oregon not looking forward to Incoming Incognito

And to correct you Bernard - Richie wasn't going to be suspended for 4 games or so. It was going to be for the entire year. Shawn Callahan stated this as a fact Tuesday on Unsportsmanlike Conduct on ESPN 1620 the Zone (Radio station) in Omaha. Richie and his Dad both figured if he was going to sit for a year, he might as well do it as a transfer at another school where he could at least practice on the scout team.

He wanted a 4 game suspension, so he could play enough to raise his draft status for the NFL, but since he was going to sit for a year anyway, he decided to leave.

As for the validity of my stories - they came from a player on the team - a defensive starter - I won't mention his name on this board - and I heard the Jemayel Phillips part of the story directly from him over beers at the Brass Rail. His friend - who's also a friend of mine - told me the Mulkey story. Not sure why he'd lie about it since the defensive player in question was one of the 10 people trying to separate RI and GM. And from what I understand - there's even more - and worse crap RI has done that the public doesn't even know about.

You don't have to beleive me though - I don't care one way or the other.

And to correct you Bernard - Richie wasn't going to be suspended for 4 games or so. It was going to be for the entire year. Shawn Callahan stated this as a fact Tuesday on Unsportsmanlike Conduct on ESPN 1620 the Zone (Radio station) in Omaha. Richie and his Dad both figured if he was going to sit for a year, he might as well do it as a transfer at another school where he could at least practice on the scout team.

He wanted a 4 game suspension, so he could play enough to raise his draft status for the NFL, but since he was going to sit for a year anyway, he decided to leave.

As for the validity of my stories - they came from a player on the team - a defensive starter - I won't mention his name on this board - and I heard the Jemayel Phillips part of the story directly from him over beers at the Brass Rail. His friend - who's also a friend of mine - told me the Mulkey story. Not sure why he'd lie about it since the defensive player in question was one of the 10 people trying to separate RI and GM. And from what I understand - there's even more - and worse crap RI has done that the public doesn't even know about.

You don't have to beleive me though - I don't care one way or the other.

Hey you could be right, I have no idea. But if he was out for the whole year why doesn't coach say that so the media doesn't ask him every week about it. It just doesn't sound quite right to me but it's overwith and doesn't matter anymore.

I for one love richie and love how he played on the field. He gave us that fire that we are missing this year. He gave us that tough s.o.b that we are missing. Sure he had a temper off the field but just because he beat up a couple of guys doesn't make him a horrible horrible murderer. give the guy a break. I hope he does well.

Sh1t, you can only give the guy so much before he hurts the team more than he helps. I am glad that jarhead is gone and I feel for the school he is going to.

If by fire you mean the ability to draw 15 yard personal fouls, then yea he had some fire.

He has taken Anger management courses, those were a giant waste of money apparently.

Buh Bye.

Same thing with Bo. He was loved here then Callahan comes and Bo goes to Okie and people hate him. Like I said, we will never know the whole true story with Richie. I wish him the best.

I was a big fan of Bo earlier this year. I have come to realize that he really has no class or tact. I am don't really care that he went to OK.

Same thing with Bo. He was loved here then Callahan comes and Bo goes to Okie and people hate him.  Like I said, we will never know the whole true story with Richie.  I wish him the best.

I was a big fan of Bo earlier this year. I have come to realize that he really has no class or tact. I am don't really care that he went to OK.

Why does he have any class? Because he went to OK>?

I for one love richie and love how he played on the field.  He gave us that fire that we are missing this year.  He gave us that tough s.o.b that we are missing.  Sure he had a temper off the field but just because he beat up a couple of guys doesn't make him a horrible horrible murderer.  give the guy a break.  I hope he does well.

Sh1t, you can only give the guy so much before he hurts the team more than he helps. I am glad that jarhead is gone and I feel for the school he is going to.

If by fire you mean the ability to draw 15 yard personal fouls, then yea he had some fire.

He has taken Anger management courses, those were a giant waste of money apparently.

Buh Bye.

I will agree to disagree with you.

Same thing with Bo. He was loved here then Callahan comes and Bo goes to Okie and people hate him.  Like I said, we will never know the whole true story with Richie.  I wish him the best.

Did you read my post? I said I didn't give a sh#t that he went to OK.

1. He got a penalty in the bowl game. When is the last time that happened? Just shows how hot headed he can be. I am all for a coach with some emotion, but c'mon.

2. The way he handled the whole Solich situation and interviewing for the job. It is almost like he was expecting to just be handed the job.

3. I forget which game it was last year, but the one where he felt it was necessary to chew out the opposing coach. That's top notch right there.

He is a good coach, I am just not sure how good of a head coach he would have been.

I think Steve Pederson said it himself (and don't take me for a Pedey fan) - Bo is going to be a good head coach someday - keyword here is someday. He has quite a bit of growing up to do. And the head coach he chewed out was Bill Snyder, for piling more points on with his starters after the outcome was decided and NU had backups in the game. That was definitely immature, but frankly, it was kind of cool

1. He got a penalty in the bowl game. When is the last time that happened? Just shows how hot headed he can be. I am all for a coach with some emotion, but c'mon.

2. The way he handled the whole Solich situation and interviewing for the job. It is almost like he was expecting to just be handed the job.

3. I forget which game it was last year, but the one where he felt it was necessary to chew out the opposing coach. That's top notch right there.

He is a good coach, I am just not sure how good of a head coach he would have been.

I'm sorry but thats the biggest load of crap. And your not the only one that has posted that.

Him getting a penalty is a bad thing? Do you realize how well the team responded after that? That got the team so fired up and we kicked ass after that. HE shows fire. he shows heart. He shows determination. And god darn it he don't back down. And he brings that out in his players! Them kids loved him and that is the reason why. Because he loved those kids and would do anything for them to protect them or to fire them up.

The same things goes for the kstate game. I thought that was bull crap aswell. We got our 3rd teamers in there and seniors who never play because the game is decided and he still has in sproles and Robertson. Give me a break that is bullsh!t! I would have did the same thing.

As far as the way he handed the Solich mess. I thought he handled it great. He took in that team and got them ready for the bowl game and got them ready to play after losing their head coach and being distracted with that whole ordeal. I thought he did a hell of a job. The only reason he got upset is because he didn't even get a chance at the job. Him and Turner got courtesy interviews to fake out the fans after Bill already had the job. It was a worthless interview.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bernard - I see your point of view on Bo, and like I've said, I think he'll be a great head coach someday, however, his temper (fire if you want to call it that) is a little too much for the head man - IMO.

And just to clarify, when Bo got the penalty in the Michigan State game, the 15 yards killed a potential touchdown drive. We were up by 2 touchdowns at that point, and it potentially could have proven huge had MSU managed to score. They would have gotten to within 7 pts at that point, and we'd have had a different ballgame to deal with. Hindsight is 20/20, but actions like that could have definitely cost us - maybe even the ballgame.

apparently the University settled with Phillips without going to court, but he had to sign a gag-order so no press would be given to it.

This type of thing goes on at every Univ. in the country

chucker21 Posted on Sep 23 2004, 09:36 PM

Does anyone think RI could even make it in the pros with that attitude.

Jason Peter had very similiar attitutde and never seem to make it. He had to take classes and get plenty of help. Don't get me wrong he'll get a couple shots.

I'm sorry but thats the biggest load of crap. And your not the only one that has posted that.

Him getting a penalty is a bad thing? Do you realize how well the team responded after that? That got the team so fired up and we kicked ass after that. HE shows fire. he shows heart. He shows determination. And god darn it he don't back down. And he brings that out in his players! Them kids loved him and that is the reason why. Because he loved those kids and would do anything for them to protect them or to fire them up.

The same things goes for the kstate game. I thought that was bull crap aswell. We got our 3rd teamers in there and seniors who never play because the game is decided and he still has in sproles and Robertson. Give me a break that is bullsh!t! I would have did the same thing.

As far as the way he handed the Solich mess. I thought he handled it great. He took in that team and got them ready for the bowl game and got them ready to play after losing their head coach and being distracted with that whole ordeal. I thought he did a hell of a job. The only reason he got upset is because he didn't even get a chance at the job. Him and Turner got courtesy interviews to fake out the fans after Bill already had the job. It was a worthless interview.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

YES it is bad thing. Since when is getting a penalty a good thing? How often did Tom get a penalty like that? It doesn't show leadership or maturity in a head coach. There is a difference between showing heart and emotion and going over line so it actually hurts the team. I am sure it got incognito fired up after that penalty. I said he had good coaching abilities, he is just too much of a hot head to be a head coach. If he isn't and he said he was ready to be a head coach, then why didn't he go out and get a head coaching job? There were some available at the time.

Kstate. So the other team wanted to play their best players. Last I checked it isn't against the rules to do that. Even if he was pissed about it, talk to the coach like another coach. Don't go at him all hot headed like a out of control incognito. That's what a level headed coach would have done. I am sure you would have done it. No doubt.

Prove your idea about Bill getting the job before those interviews. Proving is not using hear say information either or drawing conclusions from a 10 second interview after the interview. I would agree that he was pissed after the interview, but a lot of people are pissed after they don't get a job. Some people would even put down the whole process because of it. Now, i am not a big fan of Steve Petersen, he looks more like a used car salesman than a athletic director. It is pretty clear that he was looking for a pro coach from the beginning and Bo, Turner and the rest just weren't what he was looking for. Sorry.

Like I said, I liked Bo. But after the dust settled and I thought about it, itwouldn't have been good for the team for him to be at head coach.

That's MY story and I'M sticking to it.

Bernard - I see your point of view on Bo, and like I've said, I think he'll be a great head coach someday, however, his temper (fire if you want to call it that) is a little too much for the head man - IMO.

And just to clarify, when Bo got the penalty in the Michigan State game, the 15 yards killed a potential touchdown drive. We were up by 2 touchdowns at that point, and it potentially could have proven huge had MSU managed to score. They would have gotten to within 7 pts at that point, and we'd have had a different ballgame to deal with. Hindsight is 20/20, but actions like that could have definitely cost us - maybe even the ballgame.

:cheers