trick plays vs. the Puffaloes

np_husker

I think the trick plays came out not because "we needed" em or "had to dig deep" to beat Cu but to give our opponent in the Big 12 game something to worry about. OU's DC will have to take that into consideration now knowing we've used trick plays several times and with great success. I do think Cally has other trick plays in his book and we'll see those this Saturday if the opportunity arises.

On another Huskers forum, someone said Callahan actually talked to the Refs about the trick play when Taylor walked away to make sure it's legal. I guess there's something in the rule books about unfair deception or something like that. He wanted to make sure it would be legal when we ran it

You also want to make sure the officials don't get as confused as the defense. They can't call a game if they're lost.

On another Huskers forum, someone said Callahan actually talked to the Refs about the trick play when Taylor walked away to make sure it's legal. I guess there's something in the rule books about unfair deception or something like that. He wanted to make sure it would be legal when we ran it

That rule refers to something like hiding the ball under a jersey.

All other rules apply and there is a LOT of latitude in formations, etc. Just so you have the right numebr of people on the line, there is no rule about where on the line the need to be. Just so the back field does not move, but there is no rule a sto where in theback field the can be. You can't have two people in motion unless it is a shift and then you have to have a count after resetting before the ball snaps. You can't have two people in motion at the snap. A back moving in motion in the back field must move parallel or away from the LOS (ZT did just that)

You tell the ref so he doesn't get confused and blow a whistle inadvertantly or throw a flag.

:corndance

1) I think running the trick play in the third quarter was part of what Callahan was referring to when he said that they had "looked at why we struggle in the third quarter and found something". I think it helped build some momentum when usually we may lose it.

2) Trick plays...like someone else said they are like any other play. Every play you are trying to "trick" the other team. It's just that these specific plays have a higher risk/reward ratio. Practicing, setting up, and running the play at the right time is what lowers the risk. I mean, what was the option attack? Or the Option/pass play. NU has thrived on the use of "trickery" over the years.

Overall, Callahan has implemented these plays wisely. Now, if we come to the point where they are blowing up in our face then THAT would be the time to question their use.

Also, the refs needed to know what Taylor was doing, as bringing his hands out from underneath the center can institute the beginning of a play or a false start. I know in the NFL, a quarterback cannot put his hands under center and then bring them back out unless he is calling an audible or a timeout.

I don't believe Taylor ever put his hands under center or that would have been a false start. I have seen a play like this run before. It is nothing more than the QB going in motion. As long as he does not put his hands under center and as long as no one else is in motion when the ball is snapped it is legal. Can't think of much Callahan would have had to mention to the officials about that play. But before every game the officials have a conference with each coach and ask if they run any strange plays. If Callahan talked to them about something he was planning to do that is when that would have happened.