Fashion Principal

Irregular News for 12.05.06

Albuquerque, NM -- An Albuquerque high school principal could be in trouble for taking one of his students off of campus Thursday and forcing him to change a haircut the teen had gotten earlier in the week. Rio Grande High School Principal Al Sanchez objected to a haircut that created a Zia symbol and the numerals "505" on the back of boxer Fidel Maldonado's head.

Sanchez believed the haircut was a gang symbol and took the 15 year old to the same barbershop Maldonado had visited earlier and ordered them to shave it off.

"He knew I wasn't a gang member," said Maldonado. "He knew I was a boxer."

Maldonado's father, Fidel Maldonado, Sr., said Thursday that he's talked with an attorney and planned to speak with APS Superintendent Beth Everitt on Friday.

"For him to take my son and take him out of school without my consent, against his own will, is wrong," said the elder Maldonado.

"That's like false imprisonment, to me," added the teen.

APS spokesman Rigo Chavez said late Thursday that the principal's actions were wrong: "Students should not be taken off of campus by any staff member without parental permission."

APS says that Sanchez could face disciplinary action but wouldn't elaborate. And the young boxer says that he's upset.

"I'm upset because I didn't want to cut it, I'm fighting tomorrow [Friday]," said Maldonado. "I wanted to represent my state."

source

***SNIP***

Maldonado's father, Fidel Maldonado, Sr., said Thursday that he's talked with an attorney and planned to speak with APS Superintendent Beth Everitt on Friday.

"For him to take my son and take him out of school without my consent, against his own will, is wrong," said the elder Maldonado.

"That's like false imprisonment, to me," added the teen.

***SNIP***

I'd say it's also like kidnapping and assault - just to name a few...