Busboom

Benard

Dani Busboom remembers the day she first got a grip on the idea her future in volleyball would be as a setter.

Dani Busboom, left, kids around with teammate Amanda McCormick but is serious about her role with the Huskers. "I'm going to do the best I can so this team can be great," she said.

Long before she committed to Nebraska, Coach John Cook was impressed with the size and strength of Busboom's hands when she attended a Husker volleyball camp.

"I showed him my hands, and he said, 'That's all I need to see,'" Busboom said. "He just told me that, to be in a Top 25 program, I'd probably have to be a setter."

These days, Cook's still prone to talking about Busboom's hands. Only now, the coach will tell you the sophomore out of Adams Freeman carries the whole team in them.

With the Huskers switching back to a 5-1 offense, Busboom earned the starting setter job late in August while junior Michelle Lynch worked to recover from offseason back surgery.

Ten matches into the year, Busboom isn't planning on letting go.

"She has the keys to the car," Cook said. "She's driving, and everybody else is along for the ride. She knows that, and setters have to embrace that."

Rest here

• 2 weeks later...