Notes from the press conference

These are main points that were made at the almost one hour press conference covered by every Lincoln television station

Excuse the grammar, just typed as fast as I could.

*Both Perlman and Pederson made it quite clear that no influence fom the outside, whether it be boosters, donors etc., had any say in whether Solich would be back.

I think I can believe that, but he must have discussed with them though what he was planning on doing. How else would the newspaper choose the exact time when Solich would be let go. Pederson said the newspaper took a chance and guessed. It was a 50/50 shot, but to much of a coincidence for me.

*Pederson did ask Solich to step down and gave Solich the opportunity to end it as he saw fit. Whether it be to resign or be fired. Also, very important, Solich was not offered another position in the department

*Several very intriguing points were brought up through his speech and questions he answered.

"I will not let the conference slip away to Oklahoma and Texas."

"This football team won't surrender to mediocraty "

*Pederson said several times he was looking at the future when making this decision and he made said several times the the present situation at Nebraska, as far as the team goes, was due mainly at recruiting. Some of the games, especially this season's terrible loses could help accountable do to lack of depth.

Pederson made it quite clear that "Nebraska hasn't been able to recruit like it has in the past" and that "Nebraska should be able to recruit anywhere in the country."

*As for the present assisstant coaches, they are going to coach in the upcoming bowl game. But it very much looks like their job could be in jeopardy. Whomever the next coach is at NU will be able "hire anyone." It is all up to the coach coming in. Pederson says there are "no guarentees" that the assisstants will be here next year.

*As for the head coaching position it will be a "open search." Turner Gill has expressed an interest and most likely will be given a crack at the job, but unlikely to get it in my opinion. Pelini on the other hand has certainly got to have the upper hand. He was at the press conference and spoke for a while about what he expects in the future. He was named the interim head coach (not Gill the present assisstant head coach). Although Pederson commented that Gill is "one of my favorite people." With all the issues on hiring minority coaches at the D-1 level think you have got to give Gill a shot. I really think Pederson likes Pelini a lot and when the new head coach comes in and it is not Pelini, Pelini will be the only coach not to be touched and Pederson will have him stay regardless of what the new head coach says. This is certainly a chance for Pelini to show what he's got. He is a "tough guy" so to speak. And made that clear during the press conference. It's Pelini's dress rehearsal.

*Pederson commented that he wants a winner in here. "If you don't want to win a national championship, don't bother applying for this job."

*Whomever the new coach is, he does not have to stick to any tradition as far as the X's and O's are concerned. Pederson wants a winner, that means whatever it takes, either 60 runs a game or 60 passes.

*Pelini seems to care for his players and they want to play hard for him. When asked if he was ready to be the permanent coach his responds,"I'm standing here before you aren't I." "Yeah I'm ready to be a coach." Ask why he should be the head coach,"I want to win...be about excellence...play with passion." He will meet with the players on Monday. He also made it quite clear, by literally saying it that, "I have a tremendous amount of confidence in my ability."

*Pederson commented that Pelini is a serious candidate for the position.

*Pederson did and has not talked to Tom Osborne about any of this.

*Pederson will not speak again to the media on potential coaches. The next time he speaks about the position of head football coachg at Nebraska will be when he announces the new coach.

Wow, this is going to get interesting

GO BIG RED

Eric "the Red"

Thanks for the synopsis Eric. And I agree w/brotherofalatehusker, Pederson has a plastic smile that is as fake as a wedding cake. The guy seriously concerns me. Wouldnt want him at my side in an alley fight. Mind get somethin stuck in your back.

Anyway, most probably already know about his past relations w/Bo. Read more about him and Gill's situation here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1674838

Blackshirt

:ph34r: