Irregular News for 01.29.07

Tulsa, OK -- Taquela Hilton lost 137 pounds in 10 days, but her weight-loss method is not one she would recommend to anybody.

Most of the weight was removed through surgery Jan. 10 in the form of a 93-pound ovarian cyst.

"This was like having a C-section to deliver a 12-year-old," said Dr. Jennifer Cameron, Hilton's primary-care physician at SouthCrest Medical Plaza. "It was a very dangerous situation."

A cyst is an abnormal membranous sac containing a gaseous, liquid or semisolid substance, according to The American Heritage Science Dictionary.

Hilton of Kellyville said she began seeing Cameron three years ago after being dismissed by other doctors as someone who simply could not stop eating.

"Dr. Cameron is the only doctor who saw beyond what she looked like," said Toni Carson, Hilton's mother.

Hilton, 32, had begun gaining weight around age 15.

Three years ago, she had reached 563 pounds. She had trouble breathing and walking. She no longer could drive or work. Her high blood pressure was out of control. And she had dangerous cellulitis in her legs, which were dry, cracked and weeping.

"I would just get Tulsa World Sports Extra so beat down about it," she said. "The more I got beat down, the more I stayed home."

She wanted gastric bypass surgery, and Cameron told her she needed to lose some weight before the surgery could be safely attempted. Hilton's target weight was 440 pounds.

Not knowing that a gigantic cyst was putting pressure on her body and causing her intestines and stomach to flatten up into her chest, Hilton set to work walking and eating more healthfully.

"I already eat healthy," she said. "People wouldn't believe me, but my favorite thing to eat is a salad at Mazzio's. I love salads."

Through determination and hard work, Hilton brought her weight down to 480 pounds. But that still wasn't enough to have the surgery.

"I wasn't able to be active. I was living on inhalers and Advair," Hilton said.

Cameron said Hilton's health was becoming critical. Blood clots were found across her abdomen, and she had a terrible allergic reaction to the medication she was given to stop the clotting.

"Everything was such a stress for her. I knew she was right on the line of being in danger," the doctor said. "She was so good at following my recommendations, but things just didn't add up. Her belly was hard as a brick."

So Cameron scheduled Hilton for exploratory surgery. What she and the surgeon found during that operation was astounding.

"It was a small adult she was carrying around in her. It contained 12 gallons of fluid, and we removed it intact," Cameron said. "If she had ever gotten into a car accident and the cyst had burst, she would've died."

With all of Hilton's health problems, the surgery was delicate, the doctor said.

"We just had all these obstacles, and it was really scary," Cameron said. "We didn't give up. We were a team, and now we are celebrating a miracle."

Bigger cysts have been found inside people, but not by much.

"I'm just glad to get the thing out of me," Hilton said.

Before the surgery, Hilton's girth was 71 inches. She now weighs 359 pounds, has lost 20 inches in the waist and has dropped from a size 6X to a size 2X in clothing.

"Now I can see my feet when I lie down. I can see my toes wiggle. And I have a lap. I didn't have a lap before," she said.

Cameron said that since the cyst's removal, Hilton's body is getting back to a normal state, and she no longer needs gastric bypass surgery.

"She has a 100 percent healthy prognosis. We're expecting a complete transformation. She'll be a healthy, normal person," Cameron said.

As for Hilton, she is longing for that normalcy. Her goal is to go to college and get a degree in medical billing and coding. She looks forward to driving again, and, mostly, she is eager to help her family with its horses.

"It feels odd. My back has to readjust. I can actually stand up straight, and I'm taller than my mom," she said.

"If people look at me and assume I'm just fat because I eat too much, that's OK. I think, 'You didn't see me before.' "

source