HQW 7: KU Review

ericredlogo.gif

--------------------------------------------

Husker Quarterback Weekly #7: KU Review - The good, the bad, and the ugly

Mon Oct 4, 2004

--------------------------------------------

Are the games getting boring to you? I have never been one to sit and watch a Nebraska game. I jump, yell, scream, curse at the television. The last couple games I have done none of the above. What has happened?

I guess for one I’m an offensive guy. I like more scoring. Our offensive struggles have possibly put a damper on my game-day excitement. Our offense, more specifically Joe Dailey, took a major step backwards on Saturday. Yes, he was 13-24, but the turnovers are so glaring right now. The first two were his fault, the last being deflected. Those two were because he lacks arm strength and velocity. He put everything into them and couldn’t reach the wideouts. The second one, the receiver had his guy beat and Joe couldn’t reach him. Also poor fundamentals on his mechanics. Threw off his back foot. We have a running game, but before too long teams will stack the box. Then what??

Perhaps there are simply no players on the team that can give me the excitement. We have no game-breakers. We most certainly have players who try as hard as possible, but game breakers they are not. Pilk caught a bunch of balls yesterday, but took none to the damn endzone. No moves, no jukes, just catch and run as fast as he can and then get tackled or run out of bounds. Same results with Pork Chop. Obviously he makes a bunch of moves, scampers, slashes all for about an 8 yard gain. Longest run of the year?? Maybe 25 yards. Solid back, great work ethic, but no break away speed. No game-breakers!!!

Change in offensive scheme. Maybe I just don’t understand what Callahan is trying to do. Maybe it’s too complex. The option was simple. Everybody knew what was going on. All this moving around, motion, sit, hooks, dragon routes. They aren’t running the same play over and over again out of the different formations. Maybe I’m just dumbfounded by the whole thing. Gazing into the television screen as if I were being recruited by some cult who entered my television.

Special teams are atrocious. Maybe this should be renamed Special Needs. I find it so hard to believe we don’t have one friggin’ athlete to put at punt returner. Panico can catch but again he’s no play-maker. Twice we were tackled inside the 15 on kickoff returns and DeAngelis has decided to go through his “I really suck” motions again. Both field goals needed to be made. Just f'ing pitiful and painful. Disgraceful…

Whatever it may be, I do know one thing. This is what it is the rest of the year. We had a perfect opportunity after a bye week to refocus, analyze our weaknesses, had the perfect opponent, at home in Memorial Stadium and couldn’t get the job done. Our defense will need to carry us, that’s excruciatingly obvious. John Blake was quoted as saying the Baltimore Ravens did that very thing while winning the Super Bowl a couple years back. Maybe I just need to realize this is the way it’s going to be. Nobody really anywhere is blowing anyone out. Ohio St. lost to Northwestern, KST got beat by A&M, and Miami is just barely squeaking by - and they are ranked number 4 in the nation. As of right now I would consider the Huskers beating Texas Tech next week a mild upset.

Hold on Blackshirts. NU 28-27. Leach and Tech try for two and miss as the game ends.

Keep the faith

I agree with most of what you said earlier Eric, the season is what it is, a transition year with young players at the skill positions. Not quite the recruiting Callahan needs yet but it is coming along. I still feel like at any time the offense could all of a sudden click. The people I really question right now are the coaches

Why not run it more when you are ahead and time is running off the clock.

Is this offense more complicated then it needs to be

Are we always playing to our strengths

Why cant we get the play off faster

Still feeling a lot better about this program then I have in the past, we might have a couple steps backwards before we leap forward. Like Isaid it is what it is.

I agree with most of what you said earlier Eric, the season is what it is, a transition year with young players at the skill positions. Not quite the recruiting Callahan needs yet but it is coming along. I still feel like at any time the offense could all of a sudden click. The people I really question right now are the coaches

Why not run it more when you are ahead and time is running off the clock.

Is this offense more complicated then it needs to be

Are we always playing to our strengths

Why cant we get the play off faster

Still feeling a lot better about this program then I have in the past, we might have a couple steps backwards before we leap forward. Like Isaid it is what it is.

agree with you man, very good post. Only thing I disagree on is our offense about ready to click. I haven't got any sign of that.

I missed the game, but from reading analysis on here and the papers Im glad I did. What a offensive implosion. Ezpecially coming off a bye week. Not a confidence booster for tough game at Tech. Althou I can see KU clipping KSU at home this wknd, so overall dont think KU is too bad.. but dam, once we face another offense that can put points up...

anyway.. you know the rest.

But somehow I think the boyz in red will moxy up and pull one from somewhere deep. I truly believe Callahan will finally realize that he needs to adjust his WCO frame of mind a bit, and dominate the tempo of the game. We will pound the ball down their throats ala Big Red Machine of the '90s style, 40 times for 300 yds. B-shirts will be exposed a bit, but it will be a good learning experience to prepare for OU.

NU 38 TTech 31...

I have no idea what to call it but a a complete f#*k up by the coaching staff. Joe Daily was not ready for those plays Callahan was calling I think this game might completely ruin Daily's confidence.

I have no idea what Cosgrove was doing with only a three man rush. Just a ridiculous game. That team looked outworked, out coached, and just flat out out executed.

Very frustrated those athletes deserved better. When did Tech start getting better athletes than nebraska

I have no idea what to call it but a a complete f#*k up by the coaching staff. Joe Daily was not ready for those plays Callahan was calling I think this game might completely ruin Daily's confidence.

I have no idea what Cosgrove was doing with only a three man rush. Just a ridiculous game. That team looked outworked, out coached, and just flat out out executed.

Very frustrated those athletes deserved better. When did Tech start getting better athletes than nebraska

agree. we looked out of sorts ffrom the beginning. no way we are that much worse than tech. callahan is trying way too hard at this point. that is one of the beenfits of the option. it was reliable.

I have no idea what to call it but a a complete f#*k up by the coaching staff.  Joe Daily was not ready for those plays Callahan was calling I think this game might completely ruin Daily's confidence.

I have no idea what Cosgrove was doing with only a three man rush.  Just a ridiculous game.  That team looked outworked, out coached, and just flat out out executed.

Very frustrated those athletes deserved better.  When did Tech start getting better athletes than nebraska

agree. we looked out of sorts ffrom the beginning. no way we are that much worse than tech. callahan is trying way too hard at this point. that is one of the beenfits of the option. it was reliable.

It was also in place for more than 5 games.

Red November Posted on Oct 10 2004, 03:15 AM

As of right now I would consider the Huskers beating Texas Tech next week a mild upset.

Holy crap...what should we call this?? 

I call this a good old fashion federal penitentiary pound me in the ass defeat!!

Yea, I think that accurately describes it :)