Matt Slauson

owh

NU Football: Slauson is handling shift to guard

BY ROBIN WASHUT

LINCOLN - Though it took him a little while to accept it, Matt Slauson has finally come to terms with his "natural position."

While he made the move from tackle to guard for the final two games of 2006 because of injuries, the Nebraska junior still had hopes of returning to tackle this year.

But because of the Huskers' philosophy that the best five offensive linemen are going to play, regardless of the combination, it became clear that he was best fit as a guard.

"I like playing tackle, but I came to terms with the fact that I'm not good enough to play tackle," Slauson said. "That's where I fit the best. It's more of a natural position for me."

Slauson's move to guard was helped in part because of injuries and the Huskers' depth at tackle. After playing the first 11 games last year at right tackle, Slauson missed the rest of the regular season with an ankle injury.

When he returned, he moved to guard because of the emergence of junior college transfer Carl Nicks.

This season, with junior Lydon Murtha and Nicks both having quality experience at tackle, Slauson moved back inside to guard.

The 6-foot-5, 335-pound Slauson said playing guard allows him to better utilize his power and quickness. NU offensive line coach Dennis Wagner agreed, noting that Slauson's versatility to play both guard and tackle has been a valuable commodity.

"He's definitely capable of playing either position," Wagner said. "If one of our tackles were to go down today, he'd move back to tackle. We expect all of our linemen, except for the center, to be able to play any position on the line equally well."

Slauson's move has also had a positive effect on his teammates.

"Playing next to Matt has built so much more confidence for me," Murtha said. "He's such a great leader, and playing next to a guy that big and strong makes my job a lot easier."

As of last week, the Huskers' starting offensive line was made up of Slauson and junior Andy Christensen at guard, Murtha and Nicks at tackle and senior Brett Byford at center. That lineup is far from permanent.

Wagner said the team would continue to experiment with combinations up front, and he didn't rule out the possibility of moving Slauson back to tackle, where he started 14 career games.

Though he acknowledged that it took him some time to acclimate to guard, Slauson said he now actually prefers it to tackle. Now, it just feels like a natural fit.

"I'm hoping they keep me at guard," he said. "We still have to try out some more combinations, but I feel more comfortable at guard. I don't have to move around as much, and I get to spend most of the time hitting people."

LJS

Slauson happy with switch

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2007 - 12:39:28 am CDT

Nebraska's Matt Slauson (70) watches the final minutes of the Huskers' 17-14 loss to Auburn in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1. (LJS file)

Matt Slauson’s straggly goatee now stretches several inches. It’s part of an unkempt beard. He normally has shaved his head. Now, he’s letting that hair grow, too.

“I just want to get a mean, dirty look,” Slauson said. “And I think I accomplished the dirty.”

Yes, Slauson certainly looks the part of offensive lineman. He’s acted it, too, helping revamp Nebraska’s line over the past two seasons.

Now, his role has changed. His look hasn’t.

A junior, Slauson is practicing exclusively this spring at right guard. Last season, Slauson started Nebraska’s first 11 games at right tackle.

The switch, Slauson says, is permanent. Or so he hopes.

“I’m pretty confident in that,” the 6-foot-5, 335-pound Slauson said. “If we have some issues, as far as injuries go, then I might have to play a little tackle.”

Slauson, though, feels he’s better suited for playing guard. Doesn’t have the quick feet or the overall athleticism for tackle, he said.

“I’m big and slow, and you’ve got to be more agile and athletic to play outside,” Slauson said. “I think as far as my wide body goes, I’m a little better straight forward and straight backward than trying to keep up with a little 250-pound (defensive) end.”

Slauson first began practicing at guard in December during Nebraska’s preparations for the Cotton Bowl. He was coming off a high ankle sprain that caused him to miss Nebraska’s last two games, against Colorado and Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship Game. He then sprained a knee ligament in bowl practices.

He’s healthy now, but the same can’t be said for the rest of Nebraska’s line. Mike Huff and Jacob Hickman are both missing spring practice — Huff had surgery to repair an Achilles tendon injury, and Hickman underwent knee surgery.

“When Huff comes back, he’s got to be able to get in the mix at guard,” Nebraska offensive line coach Dennis Wagner said. “And when Hickman comes back, he’s got to get in the mix at tackle.”

As for Slauson, Wagner said he wouldn’t hesitate to slide him back to tackle in the event of an injury. But he labeled the move to guard “a natural move” for the big man.

“He’s so big and physical,” Wagner said. “When you’re a tackle, you’re out in space a lot and playing on an island. Not that he can’t play there. He has. But he’s much more effective being physical inside.”

Nebraska’s top five linemen this spring are Carl Nicks at left tackle, Andy Christensen at left guard, Brett Byford at center, Slauson at right guard and Lydon Murtha at right tackle. Wagner said he wants the first group to “fine-tune” its assignments and techniques during the spring.

He’s also looking for continuity and depth from Nebraska’s backups, highlighted by a trio of redshirted freshmen — D.J. Jones at tackle, Keith Williams at right guard and Cruz Barrett at left guard.

They’ve caught Slauson’s attention.

“They’re amazing, powerful guys,” Slauson said. “They’re huge. Keith and Cruz and D.J. Jones, they are some of the strongest guys when they work together. I’m really excited to see them play.”