Irregular News for 04.05.07 :: Teacher Revenge Edition

Tampa, FL -- 12-year-old Devonte Jackson carries his weight on the football field, but he never dreamed a teacher would size him up, making jokes about his weight.

Devonte Jackson, 6th Grade Student, "He said, 'Aw, you a big football player, you can't keep your arm up.'"

Jackson and his mother say during lunch last week, two-year Sligh Middle School teacher Raymond Palmer ridiculed him about his size in front of the other kids in the class.

Nekeisha Bennett-Virgo, Jackson's Mother, "'You're getting bigger than I am.' Called him fat several times."

Devonte Jackson, 6th Grade Student, "He was saying it loud, like he was big and bad, like he was trying to show off or something."

Today Jackson's working from home, awaiting a solution from the school. School officials say the teacher has admitted to the weight references but refuses to apologize.

Nekeisha Bennett-Virgo, Jackson's Mother, "The difference between him and the school bully is that he's an authority figure and should be setting an example, and he's not ."

School officials say the teacher's comments were inappropriate and have agreed to move Devonte out of the classroom for the remainder of the year.

Linda Cobbe, Hillsborough County Schools, "We won't let him get by with doing that without at least some counseling. The principal is going to urge him to change his mind and apologize."

Devonte Jackson, 6th Grade Student, "I just never want to have to see him again, never want to have to talk to him again."

Jackson's mother is hoping Palmer understands the gravity of his comments - words really can hurt.

Nekeisha Bennett-Virgo, Jackson's Mother, "I think he's destroying what I worked hard to build."

At his mother's request, Devonte is being moved to a magnet program at Sligh Middle School. School officials say they have never had a problem with the teacher before. He will be talked to and could get a mark against his permanent record.

source