mandel conference rankings

The Pac-10 is second because of USC. The fact that almost everyone is gonna have them preseason number one, that it has decent teams(that USC WILL destroy) gives them that kind of status. The SEC has four top 10 teams and five top 15. There's nothing much you can argue about those predictions.

The national title game isn't set in stone from spring ball like it was in '05, but it very well could.

Regarding the quote, ""the Pac-10 is second because of USC", I would like to point out that the PAC 10 (not USC) went 3-0 against the Big 12 last year. Besides our win against you guys, Cal destroyed A&M, and, in the forth quarter, Oregon State exploded on Missouri in their final game. The PAC 10 is not a one team conference.

Thats like saying the PAC 10 was a one team conference in basketball in the 1970's because of John Wooten's 10 national championships. The reason the NCAA basketball regionals are the way they are today is because "good PAC-10 teams" couldn't get past UCLA because the regions were then purely based on geography. Because of UCLA's dominance, not because the rest of the conference was weak, the NCAA changed the basketball regions and seedings.

Good PAC-10 football teams can't get by USC, not because they are poor teams, but they have to play USC every year.

Think about it, except for Pete Carroll's first 12 games(including two losses to K-State), and the loss to Texas in 2005, the only teams to beat USC has been PAC 10 teams. Auburn couldn't do it at home, Arkansas couldn't do it at home, Va Tech couldn't do it at home (well almost home). You guys get a chance to do it in September. But until someone outside the conference beats USC, lets not say those teams in the PAC 10 are weak. Because it saying that, you are saying you are weak also to based on that analogy.

Yours is a specious argument.

Regards, TarheelTrojan

I understand what your saying and I don't nessecarilly agree with husker jack but he might have been saying that because of USC they where number 2 in mandels rankings and the pac ten wouldn't have been that highly ranked of a conference with out the powerhouse that is USC.

fun to have you posting and great post

Never thought of it that way. I could see that.