Power Running

Does anyone else find it a little wierd that as we are trying to implement the forward pass into our offense, Oklahoma and Texas are trying to develop the power running game to be a dominate offense. Oklahoma will probally win the national championship because of their ability to run the football this year and Texas has been trying to become more physical so that they can keep up with Oklahoma. I just find it weird that we are going away from what the top teams in the conference are trying to accomplish.

I think it's more a case of all the teams trying to develop balance. If you aren't balanced, you make it much easier for a team to defend against your attack. Unbalanced offensives have inherent weaknesses - running attacks can't come back quickly if they get behind; passing attacks can't control the ball when they need to.

To me, this also points out that unbalanced offenses better have players that are physically superior to the defenders - and significantly superior. If not, too easy to stop. Since it's now hard to hoarde talent to ensure you get to that level of superiority, your best bet is to try and get the best talent you can, and to run an offense that makes it as difficult as possible for an opponent to defense.

I think that balance stuff is overrated. Look at Texas Tech, they aren't to balanced and they beat us by 60. If you can get good at something then you can kick ass no matter what. I agree you have to throw in a pass once in awhile to keep teams honest and if you get a penalty and need to throw.

I think that balance stuff is overrated. Look at Texas Tech, they aren't to balanced and they beat us by 60.

***SNIP***.

But lost to Oklahoma, who is more balanced.

Assuming your theory was correct, T-Tech should be national champions each year. But with the exception of Nebraska - who had clearly superior talent - each national champion tried for and usually achieved a pretty balanced attack.

I think that balance stuff is overrated.  Look at Texas Tech, they aren't to balanced and they beat us by 60. 

***SNIP***.

Assuming your theory was correct, T-Tech should be national champions each year. But with the exception of Nebraska - who had clearly superior talent - each national champion tried for and usually achieved a pretty balanced attack.

Oklahoma beat ttech because okie had a much better defense.

I think that balance stuff is overrated.  Look at Texas Tech, they aren't to balanced and they beat us by 60. 

***SNIP***.

Oklahoma beat ttech because okie had a much better defense.

Precisely - better talent. Thanks for acknowledging that talent is the single major component, and we lack it to the degree of an Oklahoma.

When someone says balanced they mean good teams. Talent definitely is the deciding factor. Two equally talented teams with one balancing pass/run and the other just one, the balanced team should win all things being equal. Skers had superior talent throughout the 90's and recruited the perfect option athletes. NOW, all that being said; defense wins championships. IF a superior defense can shut down either offense or both then that team will win. Look at the 95 97 teams Great defense and real good offense and the important thing being that those teams could pass enough to keep the other defense honest. nuff said :bang I think Callahan has the right system he just needs the people to run it well. Given enough time I think the current Huskers could run it well too.

GBR

When someone says balanced they mean good teams. Talent definitely is the deciding factor. Two equally talented teams with one balancing pass/run and the other just one, the balanced team should win all things being equal. Skers had superior talent throughout the 90's and recruited the perfect option athletes. NOW, all that being said; defense wins championships. IF a superior defense can shut down either offense or both then that team will win. Look at the 95 97 teams Great defense and real good offense and the important thing being that those teams could pass enough to keep the other defense honest. nuff said :bang I think Callahan has the right system he just needs the people to run it well. Given enough time I think the current Huskers could run it well too.

GBR

Got to give Callahan time.

GBR

I don't believe that our current huskers can ran Callahans offense. It is way too complexed and I think that if any quarterback is going to succeed, he is going to need to be here for five years. Bill needs to simplify his offense if he expects college athletes to have success in it.

I don't believe that our current huskers can ran Callahans offense. It is way too complexed and I think that if any quarterback is going to succeed, he is going to need to be here for five years. Bill needs to simplify his offense if he expects college athletes to have success in it.

There are plenty of high schools that run this type of offense around the country and those players don't need to be there for five years. That idea is ridiculous. Just because the current QB recruit is having a bit of trouble doesn't mean everyone will.

GBR

Precisely.

There are plenty of high schools that run this type of offense around the country and those players don't need to be there for five years. That idea is ridiculous. Just because the current QB recruit is having a bit of trouble doesn't mean everyone will.

This isn't the normal west coast, it's some advanced crap that is suppose to be so good.

This isn't the normal west coast, it's some advanced crap that is suppose to be so good.

I agree Bernard. There are so many versions of the WCO and the types that are run in high school are totally different from the ones that are run in college or the pros. Callhan needs to be able simplify this offense for younger quarterbacks and then as the quarterback progresses through out his college experiences then Bill should make the offense more advanced.

And you won't even give it any chance to get off the ground because it isn't what "Coach Bernard" would do. That's short sighted and ignorant at best.