OWh on recruiting

Is Nebraska's '05 recruiting class No. 1?

There is a long shot we could, but a lot of the big shot schools haven't filled up their "quotas" yet. Neither have we but it's tougher for us to recruit.

"Nebraska is still looking at 50 guys out there," said Lemming, the ESPN recruiting analyst and editor of Prep Football Report. "All they've got to do is get one out of five of them, and they'll have the No. 1 class in the country.

They'll need to get Lukcky, Suh, and other kids with four or five schools still on their list. Tough, but possible. Others according to OWH, Nebraska has a chance, Lemming said, with running backs Marlon Lucky and Jonathan Stewart, defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh, Jerrell Powe and Callahan Bright, offensive linemen Dan Doering and Dace Richardson, wide receiver Nyan Boateng and tight ends Martellus Bennett and Dajleon Farr.

Under former Coach Tom Osborne, who won three national titles in his final four years, NU also rarely signed recruiting classes among the nation's top five.

But times have changed, Lemming said. Conference rules that no longer allow academic non-qualifiers and limit partial qualifiers altered the playing field.

"You've got to do it differently now," Lemming said, "It's a huge change, and that's why you have to have great recruiters."

Just a great friggin' point.....

"It's kind of amazing the number of top players Nebraska is on," Lemming said. "And of their commitments, I haven't seen one guy I'm not impressed with. Really, the only way now they could screw up this class would be to take the wrong guys."

Keep it going Coach Callahan... :worship

From a website...http://www.livejournal.com/users/nurecruiting/

Source:Dallas Morning News Article

Marlon Lucky was contacted to comment on his visit about Nebraska,and even after 2 weeks,he still is on cloud 9 about his visit.So what did Marlon have to say about his visit 2 weeks later?

It was cool, man.It was a nice place.What stood out to me was the fans and stuff.The chance of playing and how the team is and stuff like that.What I saw of the West coast offense it was cool.They do a lot of motion and shifting.

And his answer about being the second best running back in the nation?

It makes me feel good

Marlon Lucky commented on his hosts at NU

I spent a lot of time with the twins,josh and daniel.They are both cool.I also got to spend some time with Fabian and titus and number 5..i think it was bernard.Bernard is really funny and he has that scary look on him with those gold teeth.

When Marlon was asked to contrast and compare his two top schools (NU AND USC),he had this to say:

I would give them a 10 both.

And the fan comparison between both schools?

Well, I don’t know about that.Nebraska fans are better.Compared to tailgating…USC has got that…they hang out on the campus and everything…barbeques.

He rated USC with a ‘nine’ compared to Nebraska’s ‘10’.

And the coaches?

I would put them with a 10.They were nice to me the whole time I was there.

Sounds like he liked them?

Yeah, I did…I do

So, he gave the Nebraska coaches a ‘10’ and USC... "was a 10 too…I know them good…they are cool too.” At Nebraska, he really liked Coach John Blake and Coach Randy Jordan the best at Nebraska.

Coach randy jordan beat him in Madden 2004 and Marlon laughed and said he wanted a rematch soon

So what does he think about coach Callahan and Coach Carroll?

Callahan: He was cool, nice. Callahan is more focused and laidback and focused.

Carroll: Coach Carroll, he is more hype. He is in the game.

But i like them both,they are both great

How about the University of Nebraska campus - from one to 10?

It was cool,” he said. “Probably a nine.” He did not see the dormitories, but “they are building some more, looking like apartments or something like that.”

Again…he has seen the USC campus…so what grade would he give them?

“About a nine too.”

How about the stadium and the projected improvements?

“That was the best thing,” he expressed with passion. “Man, that was bone-chilling. The press box is like an office building. That thing is big, man.” That is a ‘10’.

He has seen USC’s place to play - the Los Angeles Coliseum - how do they compare?

“I would give it an eight….not as good as Nebraska’s though….Red Sea, man.”

The city of Lincoln is not like Los Angeles in size - obviously - what impression did he have for that aspect?

“It was a quiet…a great place,” he said. “It is not loud, like L.A.” Is that good? “Yeah, definitely, yup and when I went there, they knew me for some reason. I said, ‘man, this is hype.’ I’m not even playing here….man.” He gave the town an ‘eight’ on the scale.

He lives near the University of Southern California, so what would he grade L.A.?

“South Central? How would I grade South Central? I would give them a ‘seven‘. They are in the middle of South Central.”

How many times did he get asked for his autograph is the next logical question?

“How many times? Man, a lot,” he said laughing and with joy. “It made me feel at home. Made me feel like I was playing.” Is that a bother? “No, not all…adults and kids.” Adults, what about that? “I was like, ‘well, okay’ …it was like one or two (adults) came up.” You are the talk of Nebraska, you know that? “I am,” he said with astonishment.

It has been reported that the fans were chanting his name at the game he attended. He heard that all right.

“I heard them say my name at first, like my first name” he said reflecting back to the crowd around him. “I didn’t turn around or nothing because someone else could be Marlon or whatever, but when they said my last name - I said, ‘oh, man!’….the whole section was saying my name out….I said, ‘dang…this place is higher.’”

He was asked what one thing will ‘tip the scale’ in favor over the others.

“Well, right now we don’t know,” he said. “We haven’t given it much thought.” He will be taking into consideration all of the above…however.

His visit to LSU has not been set yet, but he will probably visit them the first week in December. He will be visiting Mississippi State the weekend of their home game against Arkansas (Nov. 19). He has never been to either school yet, but he has some feeling about each school.

LSU: “Well, I have family living in New Orleans. They say it is a good school and they are the co-national champions. It was like my second offer…no, hold up…it was my first offer.” Does that mean a lot to you? “Yeah.” With relatives being in New Orleans, could that be a factor? “I don’t think so.” One of his uncles will be going on that visit with him. His whole family wants him to attend LSU. Will that have an effect on his decision? “Nah.”

Mississippi State: “Coach (Sylvester) Croom and favorite back - Barry Sanders. I want to see how he runs his offense.”

He has not seen the above two schools, but he has seen USC and Nebraska, so where do they stand?

“It is between SC and Nebraska…..because those are the only schools I know about right now.”

He was not told that he would be an immediate starter at Nebraska, but could it happen?

“Well, not…well, something like that,” he said. “They said I would get a lot of playing time though.”

He feels that his advantage over the present Nebraska running backs is two-fold: “They are kind of small and I have an advantage over them in catching them (passes). I have not dropped a ball this season.”

He will make his decision right around the Christmas break, but he needs to bring up his SAT score. He just got through taking it again and he feels he did quite well. His first score back in April was 80-90 points short. He will make it. His GPA runs right at 2.4.

Last Friday night, he had 14 carries for 146 yards and four touchdowns. So far in his senior year, he has had approximately 900 yards and an average per carry in the 8.4 yards range. For the year, he has accounted for “21 or 22 touchdowns” for his team’s 4-3 record to date. On top of the 900 yards, he has an additional 370 yards in receptions on 10 catches and another four touchdowns. He is averaging almost four touchdowns per game.

It is looking like it will be one of four schools to get Marlon Lucky - Nebraska, USC, LSU or Mississippi State.

link post comment

10/30 recruiting weekend [Oct. 28th, 2004|03:45 am]

BookMark this Page

Disclaimer:This is the first week of recruiting information.All the information posted on this board is free and from verified sources,be it newspapers (quotes directly coming from the players,parents of recruits or other close relatives),magazines,etc.If you wish to ask a recruiting question,just leave a comment and i will find out for you.I have several different sources of finding out.If i don't know something,i won't post any false information.This is a way to gain free information without having to pay the monthly services fees to gain the "INSIDERS" tickets to recruiting.None of this information is is copied and pastied from any premium service website.It is all public information,i am just saving everyone the time to look up this information.Thanks and i hope you enjoy it

10/30 will be the third important recruiting weekend for Nebraska this year.After pulling off 2 successful recruiting weekends in 9/4 and 10/3,the coaching staff looks for another big performance this weekend.These are not players Nebraska would usually recruit,but with the West Coast offense making strides across the nation,it has caught recruits interests.

-------------------------------------------

Defensive Tackle Jerrell Powe

Waynesboro (MS)

Wayne County

Height: 6-foot-3

Weight: 322 pounds

40-yard dash: 4.8 seconds

One of the most heavily recruited defensive linemen in the country.He has already taken a visit to Auburn and watched Auburn beat LSU 10-9.Powe was expected to visit this weekend,but has rescheduled his visit to Nov26 during the NU/CU showdown in Lincoln.He currently has interest in Nebraska,Auburn,Texas A&M and Ole Miss.This weekend,he will be making an unoffical visit to Ole Miss.His team is off to a great start (9-0) and Powe has helped lead the team on defense.He has been nothing but outstanding this year.He proved he has the talent and skills to push people around and create holes for Linebackers and safties to blitz Quarterbacks.

-----------------------------------------------

Tight End-DaJleon Farr (4 Star rivals,5 Stars insiders)

Galena Park (TX)

North Shore

Height: 6-foot-6

Weight: 235 pounds

40-yard dash: 4.5 seconds

Another recruit who is highly sought after.He made an offical visit to Oklahoma last week and is scheduled to visit Nebraska this weekened.Reports indicate that Farr has caught the flu or some sort of illness after returning from Oklahoma.He is currently questionable for this weekend from what it appears hopefully he can pull it together and make it out here.One recruit Nebraska hopes to replace on tight end next year due to his size and speed.Farr is 6 foot 6, 235 pounds and runs a 4.5 forty.His hight is the main reason Callahan loves this kid.Another recruit who is on an undefeated team.North Shore high school is 8-0 after defeating Deer Park 41-14 on 10/22

Update Farr said he was feeling better and will be ready to go on his visit this weekend.He will be in Lincoln on friday and depart sunday.Make sure you all welcome him to the stadium by chanting his name like we did 2 weeks ago for Marlon Lucky

----------------------------------------

Tight End-Chase Coffman (3 stars Rivals,4 stars Insiders)

Peculiar (MO)

Raymore-Peculiar

Height: 6-foot-6

Weight: 210 pounds

40-yard dash: 4.81 seconds

Chase Coffman,a 6 ft 6,210 pound recruit from Peculiar Missouri will be making an Offical visit with another Missouri recruit.The other recruit will be Junior QB Josh Freeman which NU is looking at strongly for next years 2006 recruiting class.This will be Chase's first offical visit,so the coaching staff is looking to make it memorable.Chase has already been on an unoffical visit to NU and enjoyed it that much that he scheduled an offical visit to see what the game time enviroment is all about in Lincoln.Chase likes what Callahan is doing in Lincoln and the offense that's being installed.He said it is the only reason he is giving Nebraska a look.Missouri does have an edge on this kid and he is leaning on the tigers,but the Husker could pull off a verbal if the gods are smiling upon the coaches this weekend.Chase mentioned that he wants to see how teams bounce back after a loss and with both Missouri and Nebraska coming off a loss,he expects this game to be intense.

--------------------------------------------

Safety-Adam Myers-White (4 stars Rivals & Insiders)

Hamilton (OH)

Height: 6-foot-4

Weight: 190 pounds

40-yard dash: 4.5 seconds

Can we say "Thank you Zook?".Hamilton (Ohio) four-star safety Adam Myers-White has taken Florida off his list.He mentioned earlier today to recruiting analyst that contacted him that he did not want to play for a team that had no stability and no loyalty to it's coaches.A Florida team that seemed to have a chokehold on this kid,now drops.This is a battle between NU and USC now.He visits USC on Nov26.He might be also scheduling a visit to Tennesse,but that one is also looking shaky for him.He really likes both coaches at USC and NU that are recruiting him.This is a kid that could give a verbal on the spot if it feels right for him according to Myers.He has already taken a visit to Purdue,but it seems like he did not enjoy it that much.He gave the coaches and experience on gameday a 8 on a scale from 1-10.Let's hope he enjoys his visit to NU.

---------------------------------------------