I Dont Know What It Is

husker rob

After todays game, I agreed with all of you, some changes need to be made and need to be made soon. I dont know if it is playing the younger, faster, inexperienced players more, or wholesale changes in the defensive coacing staff, or a little of both.

my disappointment in this years Blackshirts, for giving up 600+ yards to Ball St, cannot be measured.

Was today a hangover Saturday because of the loss to USC last week, and the players and the coaches didnt take them seriously? :dunno

i dont want to say anything in the heat of the moment so, I am going to discontinue posting on these threads for a few days, and let every thing sink in a little more, and see what is reported in the papers in the coming days.

I have been told before that if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all. right now i really do not have very much that would be considered nice, to say

All I can say is this. It has to be a combination between coaches and players. For example, Ball State scores on a 40 yard pass with two of our players on the receiver. Guy in front of me yells, "You suck Cosgrove!" I say, "Hey guy, the receiver was double teamed, how can you say THAT was Cosgrove's fault?" The guy was like, "You're right." I'm not by any means defending Cos, but this is just another example that it's not all coaching. Players ARE in position a lot of times and miss the play.

Yes but..

- there are a lot of bad fundamentals which falls on the coaching staff.

- There is a lot of players who are not as far along as they should be, that falls on the coaching staff.

- There seems to be a general lack of motivation on defense, that falls on the coaching staff.

- And there are still times where players are out of position, which also falls on the coaching staff.

Yes some of it you can blame on the players, but the bulk of it falls on the coaches. The way they play on saturdays is a direct reflection of how they have practiced and been coached.

Oh and on that pass you were talking about. The throw was in to double coverage.. I don't care how well placed the ball is, when you've got two guys on the receiver that close, one of them needs to get their hands up and contest the pass, not just run beside the receiver until he catches it and then tackle him. Again, bad fundamentals.

All I can say is this. It has to be a combination between coaches and players. For example, Ball State scores on a 40 yard pass with two of our players on the receiver. Guy in front of me yells, "You suck Cosgrove!" I say, "Hey guy, the receiver was double teamed, how can you say THAT was Cosgrove's fault?" The guy was like, "You're right." I'm not by any means defending Cos, but this is just another example that it's not all coaching. Players ARE in position a lot of times and miss the play.

Maybe he as commenting on the fact that the defense gave the Ball St Qb all the time in the world so he could thorw that ball. How many Hurries let alone sacks have they caused this year?

Yes but..

- there are a lot of bad fundamentals which falls on the coaching staff.

- There is a lot of players who are not as far along as they should be, that falls on the coaching staff.

- There seems to be a general lack of motivation on defense, that falls on the coaching staff.

- And there are still times where players are out of position, which also falls on the coaching staff.

Yes some of it you can blame on the players, but the bulk of it falls on the coaches. The way they play on saturdays is a direct reflection of how they have practiced and been coached.

Good points, can't argue with that, just saying I feel like some fans want to always give the players a total pass when we play poorly.

Nah in fact I've been putting too much blame on the players the past few years and it's appearing more and more clear that it's coaching.. not the players. It seems the players lack of execution and mistakes is across the board with all of the players, maybe a couple aren't as bad as others. But I have a hard time believing that with all the talent we've recruited/developed on defense that they just all suck.

Nah, it's coaching plain and simple.