Ohio RB loves NU

December 14, 2003

Nebraska visitor gets the word!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Dean

Huskers Illustrated

Rivals.com

Huskers Illustrated caught up with Delbert Ferguson as he was in his hotel room in Lincoln packing to catch a 1:30 flight back to Youngstown from his weekend visit. We asked Delbert how his visit went and here's what he had to say...

"It was great! They have everything I'm looking for right here. Josh and Dan Bullocks were my hosts and they were really cool. Josh made All-American this year as a sophomore and I think he's going to be playing on Sundays. I also met a lot of other players and got along well with all of them. The players, the stadium, the coaches...I liked it all. Plus, this would be the best place for me, because they lack running backs and they have the perfect medical situation to help me fully recover from my injury."

We then asked Delbert that with such a positive impression are we to assume that he committed?

"No, I probably would have, but the coaches asked the recruits not to commit even if we wanted to until a new coach is named which they said would probably be sometime next week. I will tell you that if they name Bo Pelini head coach on Monday, that I'll be calling them that afternoon to accept and you'll see me in Lincoln come January. He's my type of coach, plus he's from Youngstown and I think he'll look out for anyone from that area."

We also asked Ferguson which position the coaches had him slated for as there has been talk of him being recruited as a fullback and he told us...

"They're talking to me about running back, not fullback. They told us they're going to be changing to a more pro-style offense and that it would be perfect for my skills and talents."

Now that he's completed his visit and he's headed home, does he plan on making contact with fellow Youngstown players Daryll Clark and Brandon Braxton to let them know how well he liked Lincoln, the coaches and the program?

"Oh yeah, I'm going to call them both right away and tell them that it would be the perfect situation for them, especially if Bo Pelini is named head coach. Daryll has eliminated West Virginia and has it down now to Penn State and Nebraska and he's supposed to visit January 12th I think. My man BB likes the Huskers, too and I think he's either scheduled in here the same date as Daryll or a week later, but I will be telling them both how much I liked it and that they should both commit."

Well, there you have it! It sure appears that Delbert Ferguson wants to be a Husker, now it just comes down to getting a coach named and formalizing his commitment.

Eric "the Red"