Reality

My people,

Much has been said as to firing Cosgrove and other Defensive Coaches. This has obviously matasticized into the full "Fire SP, Fire BC" commentary. There are some very stern realities to consider with regard to this issue.

1. The only way, THE ONLY WAY that Coach Callahan and his whole staff will be cut loose is if there is a full domino effect of terminations, starting with Chancellor Pearlman, Steve Pederson, and then Coach Callahan.

2. For the aforementioned domino effect to take place, the big money people will have had to line up and pull their support in a unified show of solidarity among very prominent donors. I'm talking ALL upper echelon donors. I have not heard about this taking place at the current time, and I'm not interested in more unsubstantiated rumors.

3. Let's ASSume for an instant, that steps one and two come to fruition. Now let us remember that there is no buyout on Coach Callahan's contract. This is a public university. You connect the dots.

4. After one, two, and three are painfully accomplished, then we can consider that we will need to hire a new chancellor, AD, and Football coach. These new folks will also need to be paid.

5. The current recruiting class will almost undoubtedly suffer losses of some degree in the coming weeks. Take those prospective losses times at least three if the first four steps are completed.

6. If you can stomach the previous five steps in succession, then you will probably be able to deal with 3-5 years of less than "mediocrity."

BOTTOM LINE: At this point, I am down for whatever needs to happen to make this team competitive for the balance of the season and into the future. However I highly doubt, barring some factual information, that ANY changes will be made soon. Sweeping changes will most likely be avoided. In this business of college football, money talks. I give very little. This makes the common fan like myself powerless to influence change. This is why we've got to stop writing this stuff. Regardless of how frustrated we are, and what we think should happen, the vast majority of us will not affect change. In the mean time, I hope for any change that will positivley affect the program, whatever that may be. But I'm done being worried. The only thing I can do to affect change in the short term is continue to yell like hell for our players and our team.

IMO, it's a double edged sword. If we keep current staff we get the same results as what you suggest other than we save some mulla each year. If the money dries up, it really doesn't matter because all of husker football is in trouble. I just can't think there isn't more of a calling for change than there was with Frank. We're breaking all kinds of wrong records here with this regine. Worst home loss since 58? First time in Husker history to give up 40+ points in 4 games per season. You do the math. I agree with my wife now, we cannot afford to keep these clowns!

IMO, it's a double edged sword. If we keep current staff we get the same results as what you suggest other than we save some mulla each year. If the money dries up, it really doesn't matter because all of husker football is in trouble. I just can't think there isn't more of a calling for change than there was with Frank. We're breaking all kinds of wrong records here with this regine. Worst home loss since 58? First time in Husker history to give up 40+ points in 4 games per season. You do the math. I agree with my wife now, we cannot afford to keep these clowns!

Junior you bring up an interesting point about the paradox between saving money in the short term, and having that be irrelevant in the end. That's something else to consider.