Where's the long-term recruits?

OK, bear with me, but it seems to me one of the main ingredients missing in NU football is a team of scholarship and walk-on athletes that we enjoyed following for 4-5 years; you knew every player on the roster. Also, the juniors & seniors took underclassmen under their wing and helped them to adjust, learn the program, motivate them to excel, etc. They were rooted in the tradition of NU football and the team could go 2-3 deep in the depth chart if need be with the game on the line and still perform as as "A Unit".

We were that strong!

Just seems to me with the current crop of Juco's coming through here that some players barely have time to lace the cleats and the seasons gone, making room for next year's crop of Juco's.

I just don't see how a guy can come in (Keller) for one year and expect to run one of the most complicated offenses ever drawn up and expect to be successful. Not knocking Sam, but that's a tough road to travel.

I think in any program you need guys who are going to be around for the duration of their college career and learn the system & traditions and plan to excel when they get a shot to play. This isn't free-agency, Cally, it's college football.

We need a coach that understands these things and recruits accordingly- whoever that may be.

Am I even making sense?

Sorry so long........GBR

The biggest issue regarding this is the QB position. We've got recruits that are being brought up through the program, and one big recruit in Gabbert, planning to come in (assuming we don't lose him, but that's another story). I don't see much of a problem, to be honest.

Yeah, the QB was kind of what I was referring to- plus others. It's hard to be consistent with a new QB every year, no?

The biggest issue regarding this is the QB position. We've got recruits that are being brought up through the program, and one big recruit in Gabbert, planning to come in (assuming we don't lose him, but that's another story). I don't see much of a problem, to be honest.

Yeah, the QB was kind of what I was referring to- plus others. It's hard to be consistent with a new QB every year, no?

Well, keep in mind when Callahan took over he completely revamped the offense. We didn't really have a QB capable of running the offense the way it was meant to be. We got Taylor for a bit, who wasn't perfect, but did very well for us. Then we grabbed Keller, who was a better option than anyone we had at the time. And now we've got people coming up through the system for next year, along with a big recruit (hopefully) coming in.

Again, I really don't see a problem with the QB position. It's been handled about the only way it could have been handled.

I've been thinking about this for a while...

BC's assumptions seems to be that you have to go out and recruit with USC for those players looking for a springboard to the NFL, fair enough....

but as soon as they get to Lincoln, you immediately bombard them with an NFL playbook...

here's the problem....fundamentals...

most of these five and four star recruits come in with way too much confidence (we're partly to blame)...the focus on the high school recruiting scene is more intense than ever....they get to college, and because they dominated at the HS level they expect to cruise...but, the players they dominated at the HS level were far inferior to the athletic ability they face at the NCAA level....in order to play at the college level, they need to re-learn the fundamentals (especially tackling)...

BC coddles them as his children, instead of teaching them...

i agree!! I am preaching Redshirting all the time.

Unless a guy is TRULY gifted (Frazier, Green, Castille, Shields) he needs to stick with his class and develop as a unit.

However, since Pud and Cally all but nixed the walk-on program it's play now and fill in the blanks.

Excactly the point T.O. was making about the walk on program...those top recruits would come in from NJ and see dozens of walkons working harded than they ever had in their lives just for the chance to run down in coverage on ST....made those guys work hard instead of settling for their HS dominance...