From some Texas A&M fans

I just wanted to relay what some of the fans I talked to told me. I happened to be one of the Husker fans that bought out the visitor tickets...so I had to sit in the visitor section. There was a lot of RED around us but also quite a few A&M fans. Of course, their fans cheered most of the game...so I didn't really experience any bad eggs in that bunch. We got talking to this father/son right in front of us who said they were having a great time in Lincoln and that everyone had been enormously kind to them (except for one moron) and said they would like to come back sometime. Both of us are having coach problems and it was obvious with all the t-shirts their fans were wearing...so they were able to relate to how we were feeling Saturday. Saying they hoped we could get back to national status soon. They also told me they recognized how much of a hoss Castille is! :woo

It was kind of funny to hear them rooting for MU to win over TT (they HATE Tech)...I told them it was the opposite for us :) I also overheard a phone conversation of some A&M fan at halftime telling his buddy that "these are the best fans in college football"...then hanging up and turning to the Husker fan next to him and saying, "I'm not just saying that either."

Now, from my perspective I must say their fans seemed a lot more into the game than we were. The Husker fans have really dwindled in spirit lately. It's been really quiet in the stands. Even in the parking lot I don't think I ever heard "GO BIG RED." I was amazed at the chants the A&M fans do. They seem to go on for several minutes and EVERYONE of them knows them. I also like the swaying back and forth they do and would love to see an entire stadium doing that. The people in front of me also said that they're not used to standing up and sitting down over and over again like people around us were doing. They said the entire stadium stands for the entire game. I told him you'll probably only see the student section stand here. That was another thing they noticed too...the poor placing of the student section.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it on. My first encounter with A&M fans and it was a good one! Good luck the rest of this year guys!!!! I'll be rooting for you over the rest of the south (and rest of the North) ;)

The A&M fans I encountered were all good people. Their shirts were pretty funny. "Time of possession national champion 2006." "55% of the time, Coach Fran wins every time." Good fans and good people.

Texas sports fans are fun in general. I have sat with them at the College World Series several times and had a ball. They are polite, fun, respectful, and like meeting new people. They know football and they know how to have a good time.

Nebraska fans at the game Saturday (here I am in Washington State making this generalization) were probably in a different sub-set than the A&M fans at the game. To travel to the opponents state for the game suggests quite a bit of dedication, while the Husker fans these days are generally in a down mood. So, I imagine the aggies, who were in a vacation mood (and winning the whole game) were probably more excited than those of us who are still shaking our heads and trying to figure out A) how we got where we are, and B) what the future holds. This program has an uphill battle ahead. Bob Devaney could not rescue it. There are quite a number of factors that we have not had to deal with in the past that I am not sure we can overcome without some innovative thought. Teams like South Florida have a competitive advantage when it comes to recruiting (weather, competition, beaches, women, parties, stuff young strong athletes like). So TO needs to figure out what his advantage is going to be. Callahan tried using the "route to the NFL" line and I think it has backfired. Certainly Osborne can talk first class education and first class facilities but in this day of instant gratification and cable tv and ESPN highlights I think he has to go in a new direction.

They need a professional marketing approach. I do not envy his task because while we all know what a great place Lincoln is....promising a kid he can have the best pheasant hunting in the country may not be enough. They want to know they are going to play in big games, continue to improve and be on the field on Saturday, not on the sideline as a backup for two years. He is going to have to get a young, energetic, recogizable name for a coach to start with. He is going to have to shelve the West Coast offense but keep the passing game a large part of the picture. He is going to have to promote the Husker family, and let the recruits know that once you call Nebraska home it is always home, something Steve Pederson forgot. They have a great graduation rate and an extremely high number of Academic All-Americans to promote but they also need to bring in former players who are high dollar professionals outside of football to show that attending Nebraska is a great first step to success in any walk of life.

This is going to be an interesting next few months. Tom Osborne, if you are reading this...I have alot of ideas. Give me a call.

I managed to get lucky and get tickets to the game at aTm last fall. The student section (which is one half of the stadium) does stand the whole game, but when they get into their swaying back and forth the ENTIRE stadium does it.

I had tickets on the other side at about the 25 yard line, lower level, almost the back row. People over there just plain IGNORE Husker fans. Outside the game (before the game) I had a few people talk to me, but mostly people looked at me with a look on their face that suggested they were thinking "Hmmm, hope he doesn't walk on the grass...". Seriously, don't walk on any grass there - I think ALL of the grass is a memorial for something...

But it was a good time.

EDIT - forgot to mention that the student section noise is like a freaking light switch. It's ON or it's off. If the Aggies had the ball, you can hear the coaches yelling all over the field (PASS..PASS or whatever). When the Huskers had the ball, you couldn't hear ANYTHING...

Hey Huskers,

I made the trip from Texas to Lincoln with the family and you guys were great. I'm sorry about the state of your program right now but I'm sure you'll have a first rate team again soon to go with your first rate fans. A special thanks to a couple of your tailgaters, a guy named Tim and his wife Becky who pulled out a first aid kit and patched up my 5 year old daughter after she tripped and fell heading toward the stadium resulting in a nasty cut on her chin and a few other scraps. Then they insisted we all sit down and share a beverage and a bratwurst with them. Great folks, great fans and a great place to catch a game. You guys are first class all the way!

Hey guys, here's my $0.02. I've spent the last 3 years stationed at Offutt AFB here in Nebraska and I've been nothing but impressed with Husker fans since day one. I had the privileged to work with many awesome folks and it's so refreshing to meet such classy and knowledgeable fans. And believe me, I’ve seen the other side. We used to play LSU every year and I remember their fans would come to College Station and throw rocks through our car’s windshields and when we played them in Baton Rouge, those idiots would throw batteries at us. Don’t get me started on Texas Tech, we feel about the same way you guys feel about CU. Best of luck with your new coach and I’m positive TO will have you back on track in no time.

Oh yeah, beat the hell out of t.u.

p.s. I’m stationed in Norfolk, VA now and will be retiring in about 2 years and Nebraska has moved up to #2 state to settle in (behind Texas of course).

Gig-em

I had tickets on the other side at about the 25 yard line, lower level, almost the back row. People over there just plain IGNORE Husker fans. Outside the game (before the game) I had a few people talk to me, but mostly people looked at me with a look on their face that suggested they were thinking "Hmmm, hope he doesn't walk on the grass...". Seriously, don't walk on any grass there - I think ALL of the grass is a memorial for something...

sorry you had that experience. some of those in that section don't really come across as the friendliest people. they're usually the big money aggies that "donate" a buttload of money to get tickets in that section. i've sat over there before, and even i've felt out of place and like an outsider there (i graduated in '02). those in that section are content to just sit there, watch the game, and clap politely when the ags do something good. they're pretty much focused 100% on the game. at the tailgates, they're usually a million times friendlier. i was at the NU/A&M game in college station last season. after we lost, we decided to hit up the bars at Northgate. we camped out with a bunch of huskers watching K-state beat the hell outta texas (whoop!). i don't think they paid for a single drink all night. and over on texags, i don't think i've heard a single negative thing about the gameday experience in lincoln on saturday.

as for not walking on any grass on campus...well, that's a common misconception. there's only one building on campus where they ask you not to walk on the grass. that's the memorial student center. the entire building and the grass around it are a living memorial to those aggies that sacrificed their lives in service to the country. and don't worry...there are signs posted everywhere that ask you not to walk on the grass, just in case you're not sure. if there's one thing the aggies take seriously, it's honoring our fallen aggies.

i was hoping to make the trip up there this year to watch the game. i've always wanted to experience a game in lincoln. i guess i have to wait FOUR YEARS now.