Milt Tenopir and Dan Young

Fan

What happened to these guys? Did they stay retired from football. These two were great O-line coaches. I was reading a 1994 clinic speech last night by Coach Young. It was interesting. Coach Dan gave some interesting numbers.

For the option gurus...

In 1993-94 season, Nebraska ran the power, traps, leads and sweeps, 442 times, while running the option 141 times. He said contrary to popular belief the option is only 20% of Nebraska's offense.

He also said that almost every great athlete that TO brought in was put on defense. He said the offensive line usually got the leftovers. He was exaggerating some, but there was a lot of truth to it. Cally is doing the opposite and it shows.

I just thought these tidbits were interesting and was wondering if anyone knew what these coaches were doing now.

I think the current recruiting and rating process for O-linemen favors giants over people who may be smaller, but more athletic. I was reading an article about another Big 12 team (can't remember if it was Colorado or KU), where 4 of the 5 starting O-linemen were recruited as TE. Big guys might do fantastically well in high school against smaller, less athletic guys, but mobility and athleticism are very important attributes in Offensive linemen. Good O-line coaches understand that.

For years the Denver Broncos had the smallest O-line in the NFL, but they were in the Top 5 in rushing with 5 different RBs. It's not just how big those guys are and how they are rated out of high school.