Omaha Gunn from Central says no to NU

Gunn Narrows List to Two

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick Shaw

Huskers Illustrated

A visit to Ames, Iowa last weekend may end up being the final recruiting visit for Brandon Gunn. The 5-foot-11, 195-pound running back out of Central High in Omaha, Nebraska said that Iowa State is one of just two teams that he is still considering.

"I’ve narrowed my choices down to Iowa State and Kansas State," Gunn said. "I have another visit planned to UCLA in January but I’m not sure if I’ll take it or not. I wouldn’t mind getting my decision made before Christmas."

Gunn previously visited Kansas State in mid-October and also took an official visit to Nebraska last month. Are the Cornhuskers still in the running for his signature?

"I’ve pretty much eliminated Nebraska," Gunn said. "I really don’t like the fact that they don’t know who their coach is going to be. I decided not to go there. You can’t go to every school that offers you and they are just a school I decided to take off my list."

Gunn admits that one contributing reason to eliminating the home-state Huskers is the fact that the Nebraska coaches haven’t shown much interest in him during recent weeks.

"The whole time I’ve been constantly hearing from Kansas State and Iowa State and I just haven’t heard as much from Nebraska," Gunn said. "I haven’t been contacted by the coaches there since before Coach Solich was fired. Obviously, it’s important to go somewhere that you feel wanted."

According to Gunn, the Cyclone staff did a great job last weekend in making the blue-chipper from Omaha feel needed in Ames.

"It was a good visit," Gunn said. "It was nice. I didn’t know too much about Iowa State going in. I really liked their facilities and how close their players are to each other. I also liked the strength coach their. I liked how he pushes the players and how he described his ideas around training."

"Ames was a pretty nice town. It’s not that big...but I liked it. It’s a nice environment."

In comparing his thoughts about Iowa State to Kansas State, Gunn said there were several similarities between the two programs.

"Kansas State was very much the same," Gunn said. "I liked Kansas State a lot but when I was there, their weight room was under construction so I didn’t get to see too much of that. Kansas State likes their football team...as does Iowa State. I was more shocked about Iowa State...because like I said...I didn’t know too much about them going in."

Upon being interviewed after his Nebraska visit in November, Gunn had commented that he enjoyed his visit to Lincoln more than his trip to Kansas State. What were his thoughts about his Nebraska visit?

"It was real nice," Gunn said. "I didn’t see too much different as I’d been down there a lot before. Right now they are going through some things with the coaching deal but they’ll always have a good program regardless."

When asked to compare the three Big Twelve North schools on various criteria, Gunn had the following to say:

Best Facilities - "I’d say Iowa State. Nebraska’s facilities will be better once they have their changes made...that will be real impressive. But I really liked some things that Iowa State had in their weight room."

Environment and fan support - "They are all about the same. They are all wild about their football at all three places."

Academic Support - "Kansas State has strong academic support as does Iowa State. You are going to get a good education, though, wherever you go."

Player Unity - "I thought at all the schools that the players were together like a family. I felt comfortable at all of them."

Coaches - "I like Coach McCarney for Iowa State. I really like Coach Snyder too. I really liked Coach Solich at Nebraska as well...and I disagreed with what happened to him. In talking with the Nebraska players, I know that they respect and like Coach Pelini a lot."

Gunn is currently playing for the number two basketball team in the state of Nebraska. The Omaha Central Eagles have also been acknowledged as one of the top 35 teams in the country by one National publication.

"We’re pretty good," Gunn said. "We should be number one...but that’s all right. That will all take care of itself."