Cotton Bowl 06

Apathy

Yeah, the play didn't work the way he intended, but he shouldn't have called the play in the first place! Fake kicks are always risky and should be used in situations where the potential benefits outweigh the risks of failure. Turning the ball over that deep in our own territory was not overshadowed by having a first down in the first quarter. Yeah, the players didn't execute it well, but that is always a possibility and a coach ought to know his players strengths, weaknesses, and risks of every play before he starts doing crazy crap. If it would have worked, I would have laughed and said, "that was stupid!" Instead, I was angry and said, "That was stupid!" It's like LSU's chuck for the endzone a couple of weeks back when a field goal would have won it for them... yeah, it was crazy nuts but it worked, but it was still crazy nuts. Not worth the risk to call it, but it worked.

If the play would have worked, it would have been a brilliant call. That's football.

Yeah, the play didn't work the way he intended, but he shouldn't have called the play in the first place! Fake kicks are always risky and should be used in situations where the potential benefits outweigh the risks of failure. Turning the ball over that deep in our own territory was not overshadowed by having a first down in the first quarter. Yeah, the players didn't execute it well, but that is always a possibility and a coach ought to know his players strengths, weaknesses, and risks of every play before he starts doing crazy crap. If it would have worked, I would have laughed and said, "that was stupid!" Instead, I was angry and said, "That was stupid!" It's like LSU's chuck for the endzone a couple of weeks back when a field goal would have won it for them... yeah, it was crazy nuts but it worked, but it was still crazy nuts. Not worth the risk to call it, but it worked.

If the play would have worked, it would have been a brilliant call. That's football.

Isn't that true?