Cotton Bowl 06

Apathy

Did anybody else think that Billy C cost us that game. I'm not a person who blames the coaches for losing but that was the first time that I blamed Billy C for a loss. When we did the fake punt on our own 29 yd line in the first period and there were other times when it was 3rd and 1-2 yds to go, Billy boy would call for a passing play.

After we had lost this game I knew that the 07' wasn't going to be a good season because we lost two BIG games at the end of the 06' season. And for Steve Pederson adding on a five year contract after beating Nevada come on, he should've waited till after the USC game to decide that factor.

Any thoughts Husker Fans?

The fake punt should have worked as stated above. His 3rd down play calling has never been a strength IMO.

I was at that game . We had our chances.

I agree that he should NOT have got the extension at that time.

Never beat a top ten team. He needed to prove that he could coach with the big boys before he got paid like them.

Yeah, the play didn't work the way he intended, but he shouldn't have called the play in the first place! Fake kicks are always risky and should be used in situations where the potential benefits outweigh the risks of failure. Turning the ball over that deep in our own territory was not overshadowed by having a first down in the first quarter. Yeah, the players didn't execute it well, but that is always a possibility and a coach ought to know his players strengths, weaknesses, and risks of every play before he starts doing crazy crap. If it would have worked, I would have laughed and said, "that was stupid!" Instead, I was angry and said, "That was stupid!" It's like LSU's chuck for the endzone a couple of weeks back when a field goal would have won it for them... yeah, it was crazy nuts but it worked, but it was still crazy nuts. Not worth the risk to call it, but it worked.

Yeah, the play didn't work the way he intended, but he shouldn't have called the play in the first place! Fake kicks are always risky and should be used in situations where the potential benefits outweigh the risks of failure. Turning the ball over that deep in our own territory was not overshadowed by having a first down in the first quarter. Yeah, the players didn't execute it well, but that is always a possibility and a coach ought to know his players strengths, weaknesses, and risks of every play before he starts doing crazy crap. If it would have worked, I would have laughed and said, "that was stupid!" Instead, I was angry and said, "That was stupid!" It's like LSU's chuck for the endzone a couple of weeks back when a field goal would have won it for them... yeah, it was crazy nuts but it worked, but it was still crazy nuts. Not worth the risk to call it, but it worked.

Good point.

Did anybody else think that Billy C cost us that game. I'm not a person who blames the coaches for losing but that was the first time that I blamed Billy C for a loss. When we did the fake punt on our own 29 yd line in the first period and there were other times when it was 3rd and 1-2 yds to go, Billy boy would call for a passing play.

After we had lost this game I knew that the 07' wasn't going to be a good season because we lost two BIG games at the end of the 06' season. And for Steve Pederson adding on a five year contract after beating Nevada come on, he should've waited till after the USC game to decide that factor.

Any thoughts Husker Fans?

Does it really matter now!

The fake punt should have worked as stated above. His 3rd down play calling has never been a strength IMO.

I was at that game . We had our chances.

I agree that he should NOT have got the extension at that time.

Never beat a top ten team. He needed to prove that he could coach with the big boys before he got paid like them.

I agree that his 3rd down play calling has been average at best, but wasn't everyone calling for Castille to get the ball in those situations and run it up the middle? Look whats happened - he fumbles the damn thing multiple times. Kind of reminds me of TTech in 03 when everyone called for Dailey's head and look what we got - 4 int's. Maybe the coaches know a little (not much) more than we do.

I'm not going to stick up for the guy cause I want him gone as much as anyone, but most fans think they can do better when they can't.

How about when Nebraska needed a short third and two against Texas he brings in Cody Glenn that has'nt had a carry in the three previous games. I guess that was a great time to get rid of some of the rust for the young man. I have yet to see this guy outcoach any other coach thats had better talent, but have seen his team lose to other coaches with players that Nebraska would only invite to walk on.