Somrone's been overlooked

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Interesting that the name of Tommie Frazier has not been mentioned on these boards as a possible candidate for an Assistant Coaching position. He's also had some experience doing P R and fund raising for the University. Seems to me he would be a valuable asset to the Athletic Department and the Football Program. He has strong ties in this area (his wife is from Sioux Falls, SD) and he has never strayed too far from Lincoln since he graduated.

...T_O_B

Interesting that the name of Tommie Frazier has not been mentioned on these boards as a possible candidate for an Assistant Coaching position. He's also had some experience doing P R and fund raising for the University. Seems to me he would be a valuable asset to the Athletic Department and the Football Program. He has strong ties in this area (his wife is from Sioux Falls, SD) and he has never strayed too far from Lincoln since he graduated.

...T_O_B

he lives and works in Omaha...

but you might want to look up his coaching record at Doane and Baylor...

Tommie's teams were 3-17 at Doane an NIAA school in a division that has been dominated the past several years by Sioux Falls University. Don't know what Doane's football history is but I'd say it was probably a pretty rough road for Head Coach Frazier.

...T_O_B

i would love to bring Mr. Frazier in, wow the recruiting he could do.

that somrone had half of his team leave during his 1-10 season at Doane.

I remember someone telling me that they thought about ending the football program because of what he did to it.

Tommie's teams were 3-17 at Doane an NIAA school in a division that has been dominated the past several years by Sioux Falls University. Don't know what Doane's football history is but I'd say it was probably a pretty rough road for Head Coach Frazier.

...T_O_B

I believe they played for a national championship in the early 90's with quaterback Brad McClatchey (sp)

i would love to bring Mr. Frazier in, wow the recruiting he could do.

that somrone had half of his team leave during his 1-10 season at Doane.

They were 1-9 and I could find no mention of half the team quitting. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I do know, "Winners never quit, and quitters never win."

...T_O_B

...T_O_B

I believe they played for a national championship in the early 90's with quaterback Brad McClatchey (sp)

They had two good years in the early 90'ies. Got to the third round of the NAIA playoffs once. That would have been an 8 team playoff and could quite possibly have been a championship game.

...T_O_B

...T_O_B

I grew up in Crete, Nebraska (where Doane is), and at one time they won 63 straight games. Doane has a long history of excellent football.

I knew they won one game and assumed they played 11, anyway, here you go...

From the Lincoln Journal Star

Frazier resigns as Doane's coach

BY KEN HAMBLETON / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Nov 14, 2006 - 11:03:29 pm CST

Less than 20 months since Tommie Frazier was praised for his potential at Doane College, the school announced Tuesday he was leaving as head football coach.

Frazier, voted one of the top two Nebraska football players ever and the quarterback for two Husker national championships, ended his tenure with Doane by “mutual agreement,” both Frazier and Doane athletic director Greg Heier said.

Frazier, whose teams were 2-8 in 2005 and 1-9 this year, had whittled his squad to fewer than 40 players who were dressed for the final game of the season. “The numbers were a major part of the fact we didn’t see eye-to-eye,” Frazier said. “I wanted the program to go one way and they wanted another way. I have nothing but good things to say about Doane. I met a lot of good people there and I enjoyed working with the kids and the staff.”

Doane president Jonathan Brand declined comment other than to say he had met with Frazier since the end of the season and that he played a role in Frazier’s removal.

Heier, who has been athletic director at Doane since May, said he met with Frazier on Tuesday. Heier added, “It is an extremely difficult decision that is not taken lightly.” He said that Frazier and he agreed that a change was “best for the college football program. But I don’t want to comment beyond that.”

Doane’s two full-time assistant coaches, Nick Fulton and Troy Dumas, will remain on staff until a new coach is hired. They may apply to stay on at Doane, Heier said.

Fulton, who joined the staff last summer, was named the interim director of football operations until a new coach coach is named.

Neither Heier nor Brand said they had chosen a process to find a new head coach. Heier said he wanted to have a new coach in place by mid-December and also said the requirements for a new head coach would include a masters degree and someone who is “connected to the recruiting base in Nebraska and the recruiting that is supplemented with players from out of state. Someone who is connected with the alumni and the Doane constituency.””

Doane is allowed 24 full scholarships under the NAIA and Great Plains Athletic Conference rules. Heier said Doane was in the middle of the pack in terms of football scholarship money offered, that is reported to be about 12 to 14 full scholarships.

“There were a combination of things that led to this decision and it’s not really a surprise,” Frazier said. “You can see the tell-tale signs by how people approach you and talk to you.

“But Doane gave me an opportunity to be a head football coach and I can say I am at peace with the decision. There is no wondering why this? why that?”

Frazier denied reports he had run at least 50 players off the program that was run by Fran Schwenk for 21 years until he left for William Jewell College in the spring of 2005.

“We never asked anybody to quit, and we never ran anybody off,” Frazier said. “We told the players this was not going to be a country club atmosphere and if you were going to play you were going to have to work hard. It was no different than what Coach (Tom) Osborne asked of me and the other players he coached.”

Frazier said he had no immediate plans. He said he had business opportunities and would like to coach again.

By the way, my son attended Doane while Tommy Frazier was coach. Frazier was a disaster as head coach. It would not be politically correct for me to go into the reasons given.

I gotta go along with that as well (not just an opinion).

Tommy's hard to figure out, I agree I think he could be a helluva recruiter but needs a ton of grooming to be an effective coach at any level. I still love the guy though for what he did on the field as a player!