Guy Morriss Officially Out As Baylor Head Coach: Dallas Morning News.

Guy Morriss will not be retained as Baylor’s football coach after this season, two high-ranking university sources told The Dallas Morning News.

Morriss brought the Bears back to respectability by leading them to competitive, albeit losing, seasons the past two years. His record at Baylor is 18-38.

Morriss has only one year remaining on his contract. He could not be immediately reached for comment.

Baylor spokesman Nick Joos said athletic director Ian McCaw would not make a decision on Morriss until after the season. The Bears have suffered through 12 straight losing seasons. This year’s team is 3-7. The school hasn’t been bowl eligible since 1995.

As for Morriss’ replacement, sources said former Baylor legend Mike Singletary will be among the top candidates. Singletary told The News in late October that if the Baylor job came open, he would consider it.

“If the Baylor deal comes open, I just feel like my wife and I have to take a step back and look at whatever the opportunities are,” Singletary said on Oct. 29. “That’s really what it comes down to.

“If that’s where the Lord is taking us, I’ve got no problems being there. I’d be very excited to be there. But it all depends on where the Lord is leading us — whether that’s to colleges or here in the NFL.”

Singletary could not be reached late Thursday.

Some Baylor fans wanted Singletary to get the job when Morriss was hired in December 2002. He was a three-time All-American linebacker (1978-80) and went on to a Hall of Fame career with the Chicago Bears.

However when Morriss was hired, Singletary had no coaching experience. That’s changed. Singletary was the linebackers coach for the Baltimore Ravens in 2003 and 2004. He became an assistant head coach with the 49ers in 2005.

It’s unclear if Morriss’ status would change if Baylor could beat No. 4 Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in the final two games. The Bears (0-6 Big 12) are listed as 38-point underdogs this week against the Sooners.

Source: dallasnews.com

GREAT NEWS FOR THE BEARS!

SIC' EM!