be glad we dont have this idiot as a coach

These are some quotes from the coach peterson wanted before Callahan....this guy is a moron....Callahan is not deserving of all of the abuse that he is getting....Peterson deserves some blame..We could have this moron....These are from Houston Nutts press conference yesterday.....HDN are the quotes from Nutt

Callahan deseres one more year if he fires some assistants

HELP

Hogville Cafe Radio!

27,026 Members • 2,258,380 Posts • 123,049 Topics

Hogville.net > Razorback Discussion > Monday Morning Quarterback (Moderators: hSv, Swino, Jay Jones, SultanofSwine, Oklahawg, Biggus Piggus, HogRadioTMC, Triple_H, Bill_Smith, Lando Calrissian, Fresh Legs™, mikeb, Tomhog™, ballhog24, kgr, HogISH™, pigmania, Mark Lericos, Beau McCastlain, ErieHog, marty houston, wayne1958) > Topic: Houston was quoted as saying...well...what is he saying exactly?

Pages: [1] Go Down

« previous next »

PRINT

Author Topic: Houston was quoted as saying...well...what is he saying exactly? (Read 1043 times)

RazorDrummer

Hogvillian

Sue E Pig is Hot

Houston was quoted as saying...well...what is he saying exactly?

« on: Today at 03:44:44 PM »

in the ADG today (Mon Nov 12 2007) in the sports briefs area that in reference to that fourth down and inches call with Payton Hillis that was missed,

HDN-- "It was six inches or maybe half a foot, or maybe less than a yard."

Or something to that nature. I didn't keep a copy of that paper and when I read his transcript of the press conference, that part was different. I wonder if the press conference was edited? Or maybe the paper quoted it wrong? But how many inches are in half a foot?

So I decided to thumb through some HDN transcripts from the past. (You can find them on Hogwired somewhere if you are brave enough to try and navigate through that labyrinth)

His press conference transcripts are really hard to read from a grammar and flow perspective. I know it's hard enough to hear him say things like,

HDN--“In the very first five minutes, one of the things we talked about so hard, they are very good when they get going and the exact opposite happened."

or

HDN--“The film will fool you and we really tried to guard against that because there are some films where they didn’t look very good or didn’t have the type of effort and concentration they had against Georgia, so there weren’t four and five films like Georgia. There was one or two, but it should have been enough though. It should have been enough. You know they’re fighting to go to (the SEC Championship game in) Atlanta and try to hit on all those things. That’s the thing about this league."

What is that saying?

This one gets me for some reason:

HDN--“We’ve got to hit a field goal and not miss one. We’ve got to catch the punt; that was critical. There were a lot of little things. We got an illegal procedure penalty. You can’t stop yourselves. I’ve said it before and that’s just a fact. You have to keep fighting and playing with that kind of attitude and passion. I really think there are good things around the corner and that’s what we’re going to build on.”

...I know you should hit a field goal, but wouldn't that be the same as not missing one? How can you build on things that are around the corner? Don't you have to build on things that you have? It seems like the building blocks are always "around the corner." And...aren't illegal procedures, catching punts, stopping yourselves, hitting field goals kinda big things?

here's one:

HDN--"We're going to really set the tempo on Sunday."

...shouldn't the tempo be set on Saturday in this league? Of course, he was referencing practice following a tough game, but still...

I like this one:

HDN--"If we win, we're supposed to."

Yep.

HDN--"The most impressive thing about the last couple of weeks is that it has taken everybody on our sideline, special teams, offense and defense, together as a team, to win."

Yep.

HDN--"One word was brought to my attention today about timid."

What was the word about timid?

HDN--"We rushed. Our total offense was much more, but stats don’t mean anything."

Really?

This was a good one:

HDN--"There are spurts of about two or three quarters to pick out some very good things and that’s what we have to get corrected."

OK...let's correct the good things. Um...

Anyway...Of course, some of these things are taken out of context and they are taken from dialogue which is more inclined to be grammatically awkward. I am not trying to nit-pick or grammar police HDN (I would hate to have my conversations transcribed), but dang that coach-speak stuff makes my head spin.

These are some quotes from the coach peterson wanted before Callahan....this guy is a moron....Callahan is not deserving of all of the abuse that he is getting....Peterson deserves some blame..We could have this moron....These are from Houston Nutts press conference yesterday.....HDN are the quotes from Nutt

Callahan deseres one more year if he fires some assistants

HELP

Hogville Cafe Radio!

27,026 Members • 2,258,380 Posts • 123,049 Topics

Hogville.net > Razorback Discussion > Monday Morning Quarterback (Moderators: hSv, Swino, Jay Jones, SultanofSwine, Oklahawg, Biggus Piggus, HogRadioTMC, Triple_H, Bill_Smith, Lando Calrissian, Fresh Legs™, mikeb, Tomhog™, ballhog24, kgr, HogISH™, pigmania, Mark Lericos, Beau McCastlain, ErieHog, marty houston, wayne1958) > Topic: Houston was quoted as saying...well...what is he saying exactly?

Pages: [1] Go Down

« previous next »

PRINT

Author Topic: Houston was quoted as saying...well...what is he saying exactly? (Read 1043 times)

RazorDrummer

Hogvillian

Sue E Pig is Hot

Houston was quoted as saying...well...what is he saying exactly?

« on: Today at 03:44:44 PM »

in the ADG today (Mon Nov 12 2007) in the sports briefs area that in reference to that fourth down and inches call with Payton Hillis that was missed,

HDN-- "It was six inches or maybe half a foot, or maybe less than a yard."

Or something to that nature. I didn't keep a copy of that paper and when I read his transcript of the press conference, that part was different. I wonder if the press conference was edited? Or maybe the paper quoted it wrong? But how many inches are in half a foot?

So I decided to thumb through some HDN transcripts from the past. (You can find them on Hogwired somewhere if you are brave enough to try and navigate through that labyrinth)

His press conference transcripts are really hard to read from a grammar and flow perspective. I know it's hard enough to hear him say things like,

HDN--“In the very first five minutes, one of the things we talked about so hard, they are very good when they get going and the exact opposite happened."

or

HDN--“The film will fool you and we really tried to guard against that because there are some films where they didn’t look very good or didn’t have the type of effort and concentration they had against Georgia, so there weren’t four and five films like Georgia. There was one or two, but it should have been enough though. It should have been enough. You know they’re fighting to go to (the SEC Championship game in) Atlanta and try to hit on all those things. That’s the thing about this league."

What is that saying?

This one gets me for some reason:

HDN--“We’ve got to hit a field goal and not miss one. We’ve got to catch the punt; that was critical. There were a lot of little things. We got an illegal procedure penalty. You can’t stop yourselves. I’ve said it before and that’s just a fact. You have to keep fighting and playing with that kind of attitude and passion. I really think there are good things around the corner and that’s what we’re going to build on.”

...I know you should hit a field goal, but wouldn't that be the same as not missing one? How can you build on things that are around the corner? Don't you have to build on things that you have? It seems like the building blocks are always "around the corner." And...aren't illegal procedures, catching punts, stopping yourselves, hitting field goals kinda big things?

here's one:

HDN--"We're going to really set the tempo on Sunday."

...shouldn't the tempo be set on Saturday in this league? Of course, he was referencing practice following a tough game, but still...

I like this one:

HDN--"If we win, we're supposed to."

Yep.

HDN--"The most impressive thing about the last couple of weeks is that it has taken everybody on our sideline, special teams, offense and defense, together as a team, to win."

Yep.

HDN--"One word was brought to my attention today about timid."

What was the word about timid?

HDN--"We rushed. Our total offense was much more, but stats don’t mean anything."

Really?

This was a good one:

HDN--"There are spurts of about two or three quarters to pick out some very good things and that’s what we have to get corrected."

OK...let's correct the good things. Um...

Anyway...Of course, some of these things are taken out of context and they are taken from dialogue which is more inclined to be grammatically awkward. I am not trying to nit-pick or grammar police HDN (I would hate to have my conversations transcribed), but dang that coach-speak stuff makes my head spin.

:madash:madash:madash:madash:madash:madash:madash:madash