Press conference set for 9:30 a.m. today

BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 - 07:48:52 am CST

Whatever the news is, it’s coming early. And quickly.

Nebraska interim athletic director Tom Osborne will hold a press conference at 9:30 a.m. this morning when many expect to hear that Bill Callahan’s tenure as Nebraska’s head coach is over.

Osborne's much anticipated meeting with Callahan came early Saturday morning, apparently lasting only a few minutes. Callahan arrived at Memorial Stadium at 7:20 a.m., his arrival followed in a few minutes by Osborne's.

Callahan left at 7:35, waving to reporters as he drove his black Lexus sport-utility vehicle from a restricted area located to the east of Nebraska's practice fields. The first staff members began arriving at 7 a.m. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson arrived around 7:30.

A guard posted near the area told the Journal Star that "out of respect for the coaches, we want to have privacy."

On Friday, Nebraska lost 65-51 at Colorado to end its season at 5-7.

In four seasons, Callahan has a 27-22 mark at Nebraska.

After the game Friday, he spoke as a man who was about to hear some bad news.

“I’m going to wake up tomorrow and deal with whatever we deal with and carry on,” he said. “I’m sure Coach Osborne has a lot to talk about him. We’ll sit down and visit about them.”

Press conference set for 9:30 a.m. today

BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 - 07:48:52 am CST

Whatever the news is, it’s coming early. And quickly.

Nebraska interim athletic director Tom Osborne will hold a press conference at 9:30 a.m. this morning when many expect to hear that Bill Callahan’s tenure as Nebraska’s head coach is over.

Osborne's much anticipated meeting with Callahan came early Saturday morning, apparently lasting only a few minutes. Callahan arrived at Memorial Stadium at 7:20 a.m., his arrival followed in a few minutes by Osborne's.

Callahan left at 7:35, waving to reporters as he drove his black Lexus sport-utility vehicle from a restricted area located to the east of Nebraska's practice fields. The first staff members began arriving at 7 a.m. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson arrived around 7:30.

A guard posted near the area told the Journal Star that "out of respect for the coaches, we want to have privacy."

On Friday, Nebraska lost 65-51 at Colorado to end its season at 5-7.

In four seasons, Callahan has a 27-22 mark at Nebraska.

“I’m going to wake up tomorrow and deal with whatever we deal with and carry on,” he said. “I’m sure Coach Osborne has a lot to talk about him. We’ll sit down and visit about them.”

Is it just me, or does this feel like Christmas morning?

n four seasons, Callahan has a 27-22 mark at Nebraska.

Yea, Tom Osborne has always been a man of many words.

The meeting probably went something like this. Good morning coach. Let cut to the chase. You are fired. Talk to you later.

n four seasons, Callahan has a 27-22 mark at Nebraska.

Yea, Tom Osborne has always been a man of many words.

The meeting probably went something like this. Good morning coach. Lets cut to the chase. You are fired. Talk to you later.