Nebraska #2 Seed

Nebraska aims for back-to-back national titles, it’s worth repeating how coach John Cook described his feelings heading into this year’s NCAA Tournament.

“I feel as relaxed as I’ve ever felt going into a tournament,” he said.

That’s big news, considering that a year ago, not even a half-hour on the massage table could loosen up a Nebraska team burdened with trying to make it back to Omaha for the NCAA final four.

This year, the Huskers have worn the target of national champions from day one, and took some hits when beaten at Texas and pushed to five games by Missouri and Kansas State.

But as the team eyes first- and second-round matches at the NU Coliseum and a stout Madison (Wis.) Regional, Cook said the experience of winning last year’s title might be the best thing the Huskers have going for them.

“We know we’re going to have some really tough, close matches, but I think we’ve really prepared well mentally, physically and tactically,” he said. “We did a great job of managing this fall, of dealing with the expectations and taking everybody’s best shots. We sputtered there for a while, but our team, I think, has continued to get better and play well.

“I don’t know what else we could have possibly done.”

Only five programs have ever repeated as national champion, and none since USC in 2002-03.

There were few, if any, surprises for Nebraska in Sunday’s announcement of the 64-team tournament bracket. The Huskers were literally assured of playing at home this weekend once South Dakota State — Friday’s opening-round opponent at 7 p.m. — clinched a berth as champion of The Summit League.

Geographical considerations are factored into the bracket and contributed to five of this year’s top 16 seeds being sent on the road.

South Dakota State’s roster includes only one Nebraskan, freshman Ashley Kathol of Omaha Skutt, and facing the second-ranked Huskers promises to be quite a NCAA Tournament debut for the team.

All season, the Jackrabbits played just one team whose program has the backing of a football team in a Bowl Championship Series conference. In that match, they were swept by a Washington State team that finished 1-17 in the Pac-10 this season.

Western Kentucky and 22nd-ranked Wichita State, two programs that, combined, have one all-time NCAA Tournament win, complete this weekend’s field in Lincoln.

“I’ll remind our team of last year, when we went four games with American,” Cook cautioned.

Down the road, the Madison Regional could be “Old Home Week” for Cook, who coached host Wisconsin for seven seasons prior to leaving for Nebraska. Kentucky, coached by former NU and Wisconsin assistant Craig Skinner, is a potential opponent for the Huskers in the regional semifinals.

And there are other ties. First-year assistant Lizzy Stemke was an All-American as a player at Wisconsin, and fellow assistant Lee Maes came to Nebraska from California, another potential opponent on the “Road to Sacramento.”

“It’s been so long since I coached there,” Cook said, downplaying the nostalgia factor. “I just know it’s a fun place to play, they’ll have a great crowd and it’s going to be very competitive.

“And it’s going to be closer to home for us.”

After being the nation’s No. 1 overall seed the past three years, the Huskers are No. 2 this time around.

Stanford, despite being ranked No. 3 in the coaches’ poll, earned the top seed after clinching the Pac-10 championship.

The Cardinal, like top-ranked and No. 3 seed Penn State, won’t have to leave home prior to the final four. The Nittany Lions should face sixth-ranked Washington in the finals of the University Park Regional.

Texas, the No. 4 seed overall, is the highest seed in the Gainesville Regional. The Longhorns likely will meet host Florida in the regional semifinals, with the winner expected to match up against fifth-ranked USC.

Although NU had to win its final eight regular-season matches to share the Big 12 title with Texas, Cook said that there’s been little to excite and energize his team until now. Given the history of the program, the players understand that their legacy will be determined by how they do in the tournament.

“This is the time where you really get to show what you’re made of,” senior middle blocker Tracy Stalls said Sunday. “Are you a championship team?”

link

I hope NU and UT meet up again. I like to see our A game against their best. If both teams can get through their game, I don't see NU losing again to UT. I think we have more weapons than they do, and UT caught the Huskers not at their best. I don't think we would sweep them, but at the end, I think NU's many All Americans will prevail. Go ladies!

We tried our best to take care of the Horns for you tonight but Destinee Hooker did to the Bobcats what she did to the Huskers when you played in Austin. She is almost unstopable, only making one error all night. We were with them in the first game until they had a 9-0 run to end it and from then on they dominated. Final was 3-0 30-21, 30-20, 30-13, but all of the State fans had fun anyway and we as always are proud of our team win or lose. Now please beat the hell out of them if they make it to the Final Four.

the regional final will be televised on ESPNU

im guessing the whole final four will be too

and the host, wisconsin, just lost to iowa st. so the crowd will be less intense since their team isnt in it.

so we play michigan st. first then either cal or iowa st. then in the final four we'll most likely play penn st. or washington. so i see nebraska making the championship match again....well i saw us making it since the first game, but now more than ever.

Is it going to be televised other than on NETV? I live in NE Iowa and don't get to see the Volleyball team play anymore.

It will be televised (at least the Saturday game will be.) Since you are in NE Iowa, you should hop up to Madison, it's not that far away. Tickets are cheap too compared to matches in Lincoln.