Offensive Transition

Okay, I wasn't sure whether to post this in here or in the main forum.. but, as it does have something to do with the next coaching staff, I figured it'd be safer to throw it in here.

The first priority in the new coaching staff has got to be to restore the Blackshirts. However, we do not want our offense to regress.

Like him or not Bill Callahan built a very flexible WCO system here. He may not have ran it the way some of us think he should have, but it is a capable system and should not be abandoned. If we do that, we are going to be set back another 3-4 years. All of our offensive players were recruited to play in a WCO system, and if our new HC or OC decides to put it an entirely new system it could be disasterous.

This is why I would love to see Watson stay on as OC. I believe he is a capable coach, and given complete control of the offense, I think he would do very well. I think leaving him as OC would provide the most seamless transition possible, and I think he would do very well. Cut out the complex shifts that don't fool anybody except our players, allow the QB to be mobile and run read-options, draws, sneaks, etc.. and I think our offense will be great. Plus, the offense does feed off of the defense, and vice-versa.

FIX THE DEFENSE FIRST, BUT DON'T GUT THE OFFENSE! WE NEED A SEAMLESS OFFENSIVE TRANSITION! LEAVE WATSON AS OC!

I think what we saw in the second quarter last Friday will be what we run for an offense. Read option only we will have better blocking fundamentals. I also think that the new coach will be better equiped to use the talent he has much like Stoop's did when he won the National Championship in his second year.

The biggest thing that killled NU this year was poor defensive coaching/scheme. For what ever reason the defensive players after the USC game just didn't seem buy in.

A smart coach will build the new offense around the talent he has. I think the WCO can easily be adapted to a hybred spread offense. BUT, toss out Callahans 20 pound playbook for sure.

And there is no need for a system so complicated the QB has to run to the sideline for every play. No wonder the QB looked so tired after the game.

Okay, I wasn't sure whether to post this in here or in the main forum.. but, as it does have something to do with the next coaching staff, I figured it'd be safer to throw it in here.

The first priority in the new coaching staff has got to be to restore the Blackshirts. However, we do not want our offense to regress.

Like him or not Bill Callahan built a very flexible WCO system here. He may not have ran it the way some of us think he should have, but it is a capable system and should not be abandoned. If we do that, we are going to be set back another 3-4 years. All of our offensive players were recruited to play in a WCO system, and if our new HC or OC decides to put it an entirely new system it could be disasterous.

This is why I would love to see Watson stay on as OC. I believe he is a capable coach, and given complete control of the offense, I think he would do very well. I think leaving him as OC would provide the most seamless transition possible, and I think he would do very well. Cut out the complex shifts that don't fool anybody except our players, allow the QB to be mobile and run read-options, draws, sneaks, etc.. and I think our offense will be great. Plus, the offense does feed off of the defense, and vice-versa.

FIX THE DEFENSE FIRST, BUT DON'T GUT THE OFFENSE! WE NEED A SEAMLESS OFFENSIVE TRANSITION! LEAVE WATSON AS OC!

I just question if Watson would be a West Coast callahan clone. Is he stuck on running that forever, or would he change it to suit the personnel?