Let me first say that I am not a Nebraska fan per se, rather a College FB fan.

And even though I have seen Northwestern & K State raise from the ashes, and OU lose it and get it back, I would never have thought I would see the day that the Huskers would be where they are, and I am guessing I am not the only one.

Coach Devaney must be rolling over.

That being said, your Chancellor did the right thing in bringing Dr Tom back, he knows what it will take, and he will hire a great coach. Better to endure this short pain (as someone who has endured roughly a lifetime of pain) for the long term gain.

I have seen the candidates for the position, and I am guessing it would be too much to expect Turner Gill & Bo Pellini to be "co-coaches"? They seem to compliment each other well. And they both have shortcomings.

Chief among these are Gill's ability to go from the "outhouse" to the "penthouse", can he make the adjustments needed as the HC? Does anyone really think he is a better HC than Solich today? As for Pellini, it is a given that he has the best defensive talent in the country, but why have they given up 40+ points 3 times this year, as well as needing the LSU Offense to bail out his Defense with last second heroics 4 times this season?

I do believe that Grobe is an excellent candidate, and said so more than a month ago on the board; I believe I was the first to bring his name up. He has a great situation at WF, and can stay there for the rest of his career. He won't campaign for the job. Kelly is interesting as well, not quite sure about how he will operate in a fish bowl, get along with all of the expecations; it's one thing to win in the MAC & Conference USA, its another to get your team to a BCS Bowl yearly. No doubt he can coach. But he's never recruited the top players in the USA.

Two names that I am surprised have not come forward are Tommy Bowden & Greg Schiano. I think they are both quality individuals, are accustomed to expectations, have recruiting ties to fertile areas, and from a personality standpoint would be good fits. Bowden overachieved magnificantly at Tulane, and has done a good job at Clemson but has struggled at the top. Schiano's performance at Rutgers is nothing short of spectacular.

I think in the end Paul Johnson will be the best fit, although there is a concern about his ability to judge & recruit the type of talent that will be needed to return to the BCS. The Naval Academy gives him his players now, & previous recruiting for GA Southern does not compare with the competitiveness or expectations he will face in Lincoln. No questions about his coaching or character. He would probably be more willing than Grobe, Schiano, or Bowden to include some former Husker Staff Members as well.

In the end, Dr Tom will make a great choice, may not be the splash that everyone will be looking for, but over a 5-10 year period he will prove to be the right person.

And consider this, isn't this alot better than watching Callahan go 7-5 or 8-4, and receiving Contract after contract extensions from the former AD?

Now you get your program back...although as an MU fan, I hope it takes a little longer than you do.

Don't get too cocky there, Mizzou will go back to being a Big XII bottom-feeding program soon enough

Come on!!! Is that necessary. He did come here to talk trash.

stltiger - Schiano's name has been mentioned here. I, for one, haven't heard Tommy Bowden mentioned but think that he would be an intriguing candidate. I also agree that whomever TO selects he should be given 5-10 years to turn thinsg around...but...I'm not sure that is a realistic expectation.

Now you get your program back...although as an MU fan, I hope it takes a little longer than you do.

plz, this guy actually thinks Mizzou will be ranked #1 every year now that they've had 1 good season in what...fifty years??? Hate to break it 2 u stlouistiger, but u guys havent made it to the national championship yet.

Someone has some issues with Mizzou fans, methinks.

Yeah, I have issues with Mizzou fans trolling our boards. If Mizzou is so great, go post on ur own boards.

HuskerKing130: I'm glad to say that based on my experience with Husker fans, your attitude is in the minority. He said he was a fan of football, and wished Nebraska well in regaining its former glory. It would have been more appropriate to say thank you or nothing at all, but instead you had to be a real prick and that was totally uncalled for.

stlouistiger: On behalf of other Husker fans, I would like to apologize for HuskerKing130's attitude, and assure you that not all Husker fans are as antisocial as he. I appreciate your comments, and I hope that you don't let one idiot spoil your image of Nebraska fans in general.

Ok, I apoligize. I wuz being an a-hole, sry

No problem, no offense taken.

I have enjoyed MU's season to date, and I am actually so conditioned that I am waiting for the other shoe to drop...remember we are home of the 5th down, kicked ball, etc.

I am just interested in fans thoughts concerning Coaching candidates.

Remember, what's good for Nebraska is good for the Big 12 and it will be ultimately good for MU!

Rising tides raise all boats!