Question about Bo and Gil

Hello All,

I don't live in Nebraska, but I am an NU fan. I'm looking for help in understanding the the pull for Bo or Gil as the new head coach. I do believe that NU is an elite coaching job in the country, probably in the top 10. Because of this, I questions that Bo or Gil are proven enough to coach a top 10 program in the country.

I know that they both have strong ties to NU, and that they "get" the NU culture, tradition, etc, but I feel that NU can get someone with a more proven track record. I know Bo won a bowl game at NU as the interim head coach.

I look at other elite programs and see how they do in their coaching searches, and some of these schools really bring in the big names. Some examples:

Michigan is going to land Les Miles. (thats the general concensus) Now, Les isn't my favorite coach, but he's got one heck of a record, a lot of head coaching experience, had a team at number 1 all season...he's got a great resume. I know he does have the ties to Michigan, so that helps.

Alabama got an NFL head coach, with an NC in college....again, a proven track record. I don't think there is any doubt that Saban will take this school back to greatness.

Florida went out and got Urban Meyer, a great young, up and coming coach, with a great track record at smaller football schools, where he won a BCS game.

These are just a few examples of elite schools who went out and hired a coach with a proven track record.

So, my questions to everyone, why is Bo and Gil so favored. I am not saying they aren't good coaches, they just don't have a proven track record as a head coach. Is having NU ties and understanding the culture more important than someone with a proven track record? I'm hoping fans closer to the source can let me know what I am missing and get me more excited about those two candidates, cause it does seem that Bo is the favorite at this time, both with TO and the fans.

Woody

Hello All,

I don't live in Nebraska, but I am an NU fan. I'm looking for help in understanding the the pull for Bo or Gil as the new head coach. I do believe that NU is an elite coaching job in the country, probably in the top 10. Because of this, I questions that Bo or Gil are proven enough to coach a top 10 program in the country.

I know that they both have strong ties to NU, and that they "get" the NU culture, tradition, etc, but I feel that NU can get someone with a more proven track record. I know Bo won a bowl game at NU as the interim head coach.

I look at other elite programs and see how they do in their coaching searches, and some of these schools really bring in the big names. Some examples:

Michigan is going to land Les Miles. (thats the general concensus) Now, Les isn't my favorite coach, but he's got one heck of a record, a lot of head coaching experience, had a team at number 1 all season...he's got a great resume. I know he does have the ties to Michigan, so that helps.

Alabama got an NFL head coach, with an NC in college....again, a proven track record. I don't think there is any doubt that Saban will take this school back to greatness.

Florida went out and got Urban Meyer, a great young, up and coming coach, with a great track record at smaller football schools, where he won a BCS game.

These are just a few examples of elite schools who went out and hired a coach with a proven track record.

So, my questions to everyone, why is Bo and Gil so favored. I am not saying they aren't good coaches, they just don't have a proven track record as a head coach. Is having NU ties and understanding the culture more important than someone with a proven track record? I'm hoping fans closer to the source can let me know what I am missing and get me more excited about those two candidates, cause it does seem that Bo is the favorite at this time, both with TO and the fans.

Woody

Um, on Gill, he did just get the MAC coach of the year award. He has several years as HC, and all the years as an assistant. Why is this not considered?