players excited

Players excited to work with Pelini

By BRENT C. WAGNER / Lincoln Journal Star

Sunday, Dec 02, 2007 - 05:48:05 pm CST

First impressions mean a lot, some folks say.

Apparently, the first impression that many Nebraska football players got during a 10-minute meeting with Bo Pelini was that their new head coach is full of fire.

“That’s the first thing you notice about him,” quarterback Joe Ganz said as he left the meeting. “He’s really energetic and enthusiastic about getting this thing turned around.”

The players were informed of the meeting this morning but didn’t know who the new coach would be for certain until Pelini walked into the room. Even though many expected it would be Pelini, there was a mood of shock and excitement upon his arrival.

“He’s really excited to get things turned around, and seems like a really nice guy,” Ganz said. “I can’t wait to go to work for him.”

Another early impression?

“He was trying to keep it real low key, but I could see he’s a real high-energy guy,” lineman Matt Slauson said. “He was moving around a lot.”

Pelini will call the defensive plays. He said the offense will be multiple.

“We’re going to have a defensive genius, and the offense will keep rolling, it’s going to be great,” Slauson said.

The players were told by interim athletic director Tom Osborne that it’s possible a few current assistant coaches might remain. Ganz hopes offensive coordinator Shawn Watson is one of them.

“We did some good things on offense,” Ganz said. “(Watson) is an up-and-comer, and he’s probably going to be a head coach soon. I hope that he stays.”

One of Pelini’s first messages to the players was that every player would start now with a clean slate, no matter how many recruiting stars they had.

“I’m excited because he’s all about trust and integrity, and is really a players’ coach,” Slauson said.

Off-season conditioning begins on Monday. If the smile and bounce in the steps of many players on Sunday was any indication, there will be some spirited workouts.

“I’m ready to get out there for Spring ball again,” Slauson said. “I just wish we could fast forward straight to that.”

One of Pelini’s first messages to the players was that every player would start now with a clean slate, no matter how many recruiting stars they had.

I absolutely LOVE this attitude. It's exactly what we need to sort out the mess that Cally&Co left us with. Does anyone else remember how many times we used to say "what the HECK is he in there for?" or "why isn't so and so in there?". With new offensive and defensive systems, wiping the slate clean and letting everyone compete for their positions again is a GREAT move.

I think I'm on record as having wanted Gill for HC (thought Pelini would be a good choice too), but ultimately... I'm starting to think that Pelini was definitely the right choice. Everything he's said today is exactly what I wanted to hear from our new HC.

I'm really excited for our defense. Bo will respect the tradition of the Blackshirt.

You know, when Callahan was hired I don't remember being excited at all. I do remember wondering who Bill Callahan was however.

When i herd he was hired I knew right then we was f'd i mean the raiders fired his ass becuzz he couldnt win in the 2nd season