espn talking heads opinion

LiLBigRed

Coaching search

ESPN announcers Lee Corso and Kirk Herbstreit made their feelings clear Monday about Bo Pelini's chances to land the Nebraska coaching job.

In separate halftime interviews, Corso and Herbstreit agreed that NU Athletic Director Steve Pederson has likely moved past Pelini in looking for candidates to take over the program.

"Bo's credentials speak for themselves," said Herbstreit, a former Ohio State teammate of the Huskers' interim coach. "But it's all about making a big splash now. The new coach has got to be a big name."

He does not, however, need an NFL background, Herbstreit said.

"I'm a fan of guys who know college football," the former quarterback said. "They don't need a guy who's coached in the pros for years. What if they bring in (Oregon Coach) Mike Bellotti? I'd say, 'Wow.'"

Said Corso: "Bo doesn't say wow."

But what about Pelini's successful first season as the Nebraska defensive coordinator, not to mention his impressive display in leading the Huskers through a difficult situation this month?

"It doesn't matter," Corso said. "He's not going to be the head coach."

Pelini and Turner Gill, the assistant head coach at Nebraska, are the only confirmed candidates.

As of now Al Saunders is out of the mix and Spurrier, I think, is really going to call it quits for a while ( or at least maybe that's what I'm trying to tell myself). So it really only leaves Bo, I think. I hope this whole big splash crap isn't on SP's mind. Bring in a damn coach who knows the game....the college game that is.

eric "the red"

It is easy to say that Pederson has looked past Pelini already, but only Pederson

knows that for sure. I think he is searching for the best candidates possible before

making a decision. Knee jerk decisions of this magnitude are never good. I would

say that I would be doing the same thing if I was him. It would be foolish not to

weigh all your possibilties.The fact that Bo is still a candidate still puts him in the running.

I agree with Eric, I hope this "big splash" crap isn't in Pederson's head either. I think

he has the best of the program in mind regardless of "splash".

he has too. just wanted it to seem like he hadnt. serisouly , SP is smarter than you think. why would all these contact be coming to surface now? if he didnt want them to, we still wouldnt know about them. he didnt let the media know about his contacts w/ cowher, urban meyer, etc. b/c he didnt want Pelini distracted, and wanted to lead him to believe that he was the man, so he would do his best in the bowl game. if he knew he was pursuing others, he may have split b4 the bowl.

he has too.  just wanted it to seem like he hadnt. serisouly , SP is smarter than you think.  why would all these contact be coming to surface now? if he didnt want them to, we still wouldnt know about them. 

I have to disagree with you here.

So he has control over all the other universities that he is contacting? He himself

has not released ANY information just as he said he would. All the information that

I have read has come from other people and organizations.

probly true, but i still feel he had to have had indirect contact with many others since the solich ripping. even b4 then probly. you know it just didnt start this wk just b/c we are now hearing about it. maybe indirect contacts, or "feelers", but since these are now actual offers - saunders and nutt, they have to be released.