Winter Fish Kill

Was the pond shallow or covered with snow?

Probably too low a level of dissolved O2.

Aquatic plants need some sunlight to produce Oxygen..

Google "winter fish kill ponds"

Unfortunately, pond owners are often living with the consequences of a previous owner’s pond design. Small shallow ponds that “kill” frequently may be better off managed as wetlands for wildlife rather than fishing. Managing these ponds for fishing by repetitive stocking is expensive and unproductive. In some cases, the likelihood of fish kills can be reduced by diligent snow removal or artificial aeration. The most practical method to increase oxygen production and prevent winterkill is snow removal. Snow accumulations of less than two inches usually melt soon after a storm passes and do not warrant removal. However, heavy snowfall accumulations that persist should be removed as soon as possible. Removal of at least 30 percent of the snow usually provides adequate light transmission. Pond owners should concentrate on removal in shoreline areas if only a portion of the pond is to be cleared.

Commercially available aeration and circulation systems can be used to prevent both winterkill and summerkill. Some systems actually transfer a significant amount of oxygen to the pond, whereas others circulate the water to permit oxygen exchange, prevent complete ice-over and reduce buildup of organic matter. There are many models of commercially available aerators and artificial circulators designed to fit most ponds. Some of the more common aerators and circulators on the market are aspirators, paddle wheels, compressed air injectors, fountain aerators, and wind-powered aerators.

Anyone have any experience with it? My bro's pond got it pretty bad this year. Any suggestions? :dunno

You may want to have him call the Game and Parks Commission, maybe they could send someone out to examine the lake and the dead fish. I don't know if they do this anymore, but it might be worth it to him to consult with them on a course of action.

I'm sure it was because of snow cover on the ice. The pond was stocked 3 1/2 years ago, so we were hoping this year would be some good fishing. He called the DNR yesterday. Hopefully they have some good news for us. This is the first year he didn't clear the snow for an 'ice rink'.....I'm sure that had something to do with it. Sucks. :angry::angry::angry:

Just curious..

How exactly does one clear the snow off a pond?

I still have backlashes of falling through the ice of a pond/swamp/creek north of Funk while showing my Brother my fav. hunting spot.

He has a blade on the front of his 4-wheeler.