Four lingering concerns

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10314880

Published Sunday | April 20, 2008

Four lingering concerns

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

1. Are there enough linebackers?

The splitting of the Red and White exposed the already known problem of Nebraska being needy at linebacker. Even with the Cody Glenn move.

Only Tyler Wortman really stood out Saturday, with six solo tackles and a forced fumble. And Wortman, trying to become the No. 1 strongside linebacker, is a walk-on senior-to-be who has played little in the past.

NU linebackers coach Mike Ekeler, however, already has said he likes his troops and declined to say the Huskers were left short-handed after losing four seniors.

"Those guys have really taken to Coach Ekeler," defensive coordinator Carl Pelini said. "That is a difficult position to play in this scheme. There's a lot on their shoulders. We threw a lot at them. At least they're on the right path."

Before Glenn came over, NU started spring practice with just five scholarship linebackers, including former safety Latravis Washington. That was cut into when Austin Stafford missed most of the spring for unspecified reasons.

Ekeler loves Glenn's potential. And that move might end up changing the whole outlook.

"He's done everything we've asked," Ekeler said.

2. Is there a go-to guy at receiver?

Senior quarterback Joe Ganz said Thursday that Nate Swift and Todd Peterson will be his "go-to" receivers, based on what he already knows about the Huskers' top returning pass-catchers. Swift and Peterson combined for five catches Saturday.

But . . .

Question No. 1: Can Swift and Peterson consistently make plays on third-and-6 in big-time Big 12 situations?

Question No. 2: Beyond Swift and Peterson, who's ready to be the next option?

Maurice Purify filled that role last season at the X position. Single him up on the backside and find him in money situations.

"We've been talking about it all spring, that we're still looking for that guy who's going to step in play-in and play-out," Peterson said. "We're not sure right now, but we'll figure it out. But we've got guys who are capable, I know that."

Menelik Holt is the most experienced of the rest. One of Curenski Gilleylen's two catches Saturday was a 77-yard touchdown, but the redshirt freshman also had two drops. Niles Paul, Chris Brooks and eventually Will Henry will be the other candidates.

3. Who's the understudy at quarterback?

It's clear that Joe Ganz is No. 1. It's not so clear who is No. 2.

For now that search also comes with some uncertainty.

Neither Patrick Witt nor Zac Lee has played a down of Division I-A football. As of now, head coach Bo Pelini said Witt holds a slight edge.

Witt and Lee split first-half time with the White team Saturday before Witt shifted over to the Red to start the second half. The redshirt freshman completed 6 of 12 passes for 61 yards, with an interception for the White team.

Lee went 6 for 11 for 87 yards and threw a late touchdown to backup I-back Austin Jones.

"I don't put as much stock in today as what I've seen for the last 14 practices," Pelini said. "And what I've seen is both of them getting better. They're developing. They're different athletes and have some different strengths and weaknesses, but both are good football players who are growing in the system.

The speed of their growth could be a factor if something were to happen to Ganz come September.

4. Are returns on shaky ground?

Just about everything involved with special teams was hard to gauge in the spring game, especially punt and kickoff returns. The staff removed all contact, so the ball only had to be fielded.

Guess what?

Marcus Mendoza muffed two punts, including one that ricocheted off his helmet. Niles Paul had trouble fielding another.

This would be a concern, because the Huskers need to replace Cortney Grixby, who was steady and sometimes more last season - on both punts and kickoffs. Plus he was a senior who had been through it all before.

Players like Mendoza, Paul and Curenski Gilleylen are eager, no doubt. Just inexperienced.

Adi Kunalic handled kickoffs with seven touchbacks, and Alex Henery kicked a 35-yard field goal. Dan Titchener averaged 45.1 yards for eight punts.

But if anybody was feeling the squeeze this spring it was likely special teams, as NU needed time to install a whole new defense and tweak what it does offensively.

Good article, I think everyone that follows Nebraska is probably thinking the same things.