Bullocks brothers

NU Football: NU is better off, Bullocks twins say

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Josh Bullocks considers it "a blessing" that Bo Pelini and Marvin Sanders have returned to the Nebraska coaching staff.

Bullocks and his twin brother, Daniel, enjoyed breakout seasons in 2003 when Pelini served as defensive coordinator and Sanders as secondary coach.

Now both players are in the NFL, Pelini is Nebraska's head coach and Sanders is back coaching defensive backs.

And Daniel Bullocks is suddenly more interested in NU football.

"I thought Bo should have been there from the beginning," he said.

The Bullocks brothers were in Omaha Friday to attend the building dedication of United Republic Bank near 180th Street and West Dodge Road. They are investors in the facility along with former All-America NU linebacker Demorrio Williams.

Josh is set this month to start his fourth year with the New Orleans Saints and Daniel his third with the Detroit Lions.

Josh was a sophomore free safety in 2003 under Pelini and Sanders when he recorded a single-season, NU-record 10 of the Huskers' nation-leading 32 interceptions. Daniel, a strong safety, topped the secondary with 69 tackles as the Huskers led the nation in pass-efficiency defense.

The twins credit Pelini's zone defense for Nebraska's opportunistic style of play in 2003.

"We were facing the quarterback," Daniel said. "We could see the ball."

Josh left Nebraska following his junior year in 2004 under coach Bill Callahan. Daniel played two seasons under Callahan, twice earning second-team All-Big 12 recognition after Pelini left for Oklahoma in 2004. Just like his brother a year earlier, Daniel was drafted 40th overall in 2006.

They've since purchased a new home in Chattanooga, Tenn., for their mother and made names for themselves in the NFL. Josh has started 43 NFL games over the past three seasons. Daniel started seven games and led NFC rookie defensive backs with 70 tackles.

Daniel tore a ligament in his right knee during a preseason game last August. He missed all of the 2007 season and is expected to battle second-year pro Gerald Alexander for a starting safety spot alongside newcomer Dwight Smith when the Lions open training camp July 24 in Allen Park, Mich.

"Competition only makes you better," said Daniel, halfway through a four-year, $3.7 million contract. "In my situation, it's an emotional roller coaster. Right now, I'm feeling healthy. I'm looking forward to get back out there making plays, but I'll let the coaches make that decision."

Josh, in the final year of his initial contract, is also on the mend from knee surgery. He underwent a minor procedure after last season but was limited in offseason training.

Training camp for the Saints opens July 23 in Jackson, Miss.

The Lions and Saints play Dec. 21 in Detroit. The whole Bullocks family will be there.

And much of the 2003 Husker coaching staff will be in Lincoln. Callahan's November firing led to the return of Pelini, Sanders, Barney Cotton, Ron Brown, Carl Pelini and Jeff Jamrog.

"Pelini, he's a defensive guy and he's a players' coach," Daniel said, "so I related to him a lot more easily than any other coach I had at Nebraska."