Tom Shatel column

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1921

LINCOLN - First downs, second guesses and impressions from Bo Pelini's first media day at Nebraska:

• There's a new sheriff in town. Welcome to Bo Law.

Just seconds after Pelini sat down at media day on Monday, he announced that defensive lineman Kevin Dixon had been dismissed from the team. Big deal? Yes, on two fronts.

Granted, this was a backup. But Dixon, who started four games last year, would have been a big factor at a position that needs depth and playmakers.

But here's the thing: Dixon apparently had been cited for littering (public urination) and marijuana possession. Both charges were dropped.

So, too, was Dixon.

Another coach might have said, no charge, no foul, run some stadium steps. Not Pelini. Dixon gave Pelini the opportunity to flex his muscle and the coach did just that - though, with Hunter Teafatiller (a repeat DUI offender) still on the team, you wonder if there was more to Dixon's story or if the Unity Council was in on the Dixon dismissal.

In any case, it will be a lot easier for Pelini to draw the hard line this season, when expectations aren't exactly BCS-high. But something tells me that Bo Law won't change.

• Pelini said that two-sport recruit Khiry Cooper is in camp and added "we are expecting him to be here."

The Los Angeles Angels had no comment. But the Angels have until Aug. 15 to sign Cooper, their fifth-round pick in 2008, to a major league contract. Insiders think that it would take at least $500,000 to lure Cooper away from Lincoln. Likely, the Angels will wait until the deadline and see how much money they have left after signing their other draft picks.

In the meantime, it makes sense for Cooper to be in Husker camp. If he doesn't sign, he's on schedule with the rest of the team. And it's not a bad negotiating tool for Cooper, to show the Angels that he's serious enough about college to be here. Stay tuned. It's far from over.

• Under Bo Law, incoming players aren't allowed to do interviews until they get in a game. Hallelujah. I'm certainly not trying to discourage interviews here, but incoming freshmen don't really have anything to say at this point. The attention just adds to the mindless hype. And I don't really have anything to ask them, other than, "How do you like your dorm room?"

• I have no problem with Marlon Lucky being listed as a co-No. 1 running back with Roy Helu Jr. Is Lucky an every-down back? Nobody knows. He never got a chance to show it under Bill Callahan.

Lucky went for 30 carries against Nevada in the 2007 opener, but it was Nevada. And then Lucky was never the workhorse again. In fact, he was used more as a safety net whenever Sam Keller got pressured, with a school-record 75 catches.

If Shawn Watson pounds the rock as promised, it will be interesting to see how Lucky holds up. The Huskers may need all their backs. And Lucky might be better suited catching passes or getting into open space.

• In case you were wondering: There really wasn't a noticeable change of tone or excitement at media day from other years. Pelini didn't bound into the room doing handstands. The players looked and acted the same. It reminded me of Don "Fox" Bryant's old line when a writer asked him if he was going to watch practice. Bryant said, "Did they find a new way to practice?"

• My favorite quotes from Monday:

Joe Ganz, who talks with Zac Taylor often, was asked for the best advice Taylor has given him: "Don't screw up."

Pelini, when asked to comment on Larry Asante telling the media that Pelini had told the team to shoot for the stars: "That's between me and the team."

Nate Swift on Pelini: "You can tell he's a good coach. He doesn't just talk to the seniors, he knows who all the young guys are, too. Last year, we'd lose a game and there was nothing to bring us back up. This year, I think Coach Pelini will take care of that."

Lucky, on the offense: "I think we'll pass as much as last year. Hopefully, this year we won't be behind at the half."

Nice read, he made some good points. I also like the fact that he does not want the freshmen talking to the press unless they have been in a game.

I agree. Think of the many overhyped freshmen (Harrison Beck for one), who could have benefitted from not talking to the press.