Offensive line set to shine

LINK

On the list of coaches' concerns about Nebraska's football team this fall camp, "offensive line" is a ways down the list.

By all accounts, the unit is clicking along in fine fashion. It features four players who made at least eight starts in 2007.

"We have a lot of guys who know what they're doing," said junior center Jacob Hickman, who started nine games at guard last season. "Even if I'm not sure what to do on a play, the guy next to me -- (Matt) Slauson or (Mike) Huff or Keith (Williams) -- will know what to do. It's really good having such an experienced unit."

[+]EnlargeJacob Hickman Jacob Hickman

Related Media

Fall Practice Central

Follow the Huskers' progress as they prepare for the 2008 football season. (Laura Meerkatz / JournalStar.com)...

Comments: 0Rated:Enter the Fan Film Fest!

Are you or someone you know an amateur videographer? Do you or your family and friends have huge Husker spirit? Then shoot it and share it with the world by entering our inaugural Husker Fan Film Fest! Click here for details. Hickman, a 6-foot-4, 290-pound junior, said the offensive line takes pride in the high expectations fans have for the unit. The players take it personally, Hickman said.

"If we mess up, you know, we realize it's not really acceptable, because we have to be the best unit on the team," the Bakersfield, Calif., native said. "You always hear: Where the line goes, the team goes.

"I appreciate the sentiment of being told we're the strength of the team. But at the same time, a lot goes into making sure we accomplish it."

Hickman also has played guard and tackle in his time as a Husker.

"I guess I just know the positions and have a pretty good memory of the plays," he said.