Free article on Rivals.com about Watson

Rivals.com

New Nebraska coach Bo Pelini knows he's fortunate. He has a golden opportunity to restore the luster to a fallen power. If he revives the Big Red, Pelini will be hailed a hero.

"I think the world of Shawn," Pelini said. "He's a smart coach who has a good offense."

Watson's offensive background helps make him a hot coaching commodity. What could put him over the top is if Nebraska turns it around and competes for the Big 12 North title this season. Assistants who oversee turnarounds often are in demand to become head coaches. That Watson has a background as a guy who produces top-flight offenses helps in that regard, too.

Watson could have bolted Lincoln after coach Bill Callahan was fired. Alabama was one school that came calling. New Tide coach Nick Saban was looking for a coordinator to continue his rebuilding project in Tuscaloosa. But Watson wasn't interested in leaving, even though taking the Alabama post would have meant a raise of more than $100,000.

"I am excited about continuing in my role as the offensive coordinator at Nebraska," Watson said. "My family and I enjoy being at Nebraska. This is a great place to do what I love - and that is coaching football."

But Watson's decision wasn't all about money. A salary survey of Big 12 assistants done this summer by The Oklahoman of Oklahoma City showed that Watson is the third-highest paid offensive coordinator, with a salary of $300,000. Only Texas' Greg Davis ($425,000) and Texas A&M's Nolan Cromwell ($330,000) make more. Among all Big 12 assistants, Watson ranks eighth.

Watson likes that he has a chance to put his stamp on Nebraska's offense. That wasn't the case under Callahan, who had his fingerprints all over the attack. But Pelini is a defensive coach who – for the most part – will focus on rehabbing a horrible defense.

Pelini expects Watson's attack to be physical and multiple – and strong. Quarterback Joe Ganz showed promised in three late-season starts, throwing for more than 400 yards in each contest and for 15 TDs. But the goal this fall is to get the ground game ramped up. The rushing attack struggled last season, ranking 66th in the nation.

Watson, who enters his third season in Lincoln, runs a West Coast scheme that features lots of zone reads. And look for more power running. Nebraska welcomes back four starters along the line and has one of the country's top running backs in Marlon Lucky. He's the ultimate back for this offense, possessing an explosive running element with soft hands. Lucky ran for 1,019 yards in 2007 and led every running back in the nation with 75 receptions. And there's good depth at tailback, too.

The biggest question: Is there a deep threat in the house? Nate Swift and Todd Peterson are dependable veterans but won't scare defensive coordinators. The home run hitter could be Curenski Gilleylen, a redshirt freshman who is the team's fastest player.

Watson, 48, came to Nebraska in 2006 as tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator. He was promoted to coordinator before last season after Jay Norvell left to run UCLA's offense.

Watson cut his teeth as an assistant to Gary Barnett at Northwestern, joining the Wildcats' staff as quarterbacks coach in 1997. Watson followed Barnett to Colorado in 1999 and assumed coordinator duties in 2000. His offenses helped CU win four Big 12 North crowns and the 2001 Big 12 championship.

Watson's offenses were adept at maximizing the talent on the roster. In 2001 and '02, Watson fashioned his offense around the ground game. In '03, Watson relied on a strong passing game (18th in the nation). His 2001 team was just the second in school history to average more than 200 yards rushing and passing. And the 2004 Buffs were just the second team in school history to produce a 2,000-yard passer and a 1,000-yard runner.

Make no mistake: Watson's offense wasn't the problem in Nebraska's disastrous 2007 season. The Huskers' offense ranked ninth in the nation, averaging 468.3 yards per game - the school's best effort since 1997. The offense finished seventh in the nation in passing (323.8 ypg) and threw for a school-record 3,886 yards, which was highlighted by the three best passing games in Nebraska history.

"He's done a great job at getting the offensive staff on the same page," Pelini said. "You know, I have a lot of confidence in him. I feel very fortunate to have him, and I think he's a tremendous football coach. You combine him with the expertise with the other guys on the staff – I think it's jelled very well. They get along well, they've gotten on the same page and I really feel good about how the staff came together.

"Shawn will get it done. He's a smart guy who one day will be a head coach. He was a head coach before (posting a 11-22 mark at Division I-AA Southern Illinois from 1994-96). He'll be one again."

Tom Dienhart is the national senior writer for Rivals.com. He can be reached at dienhart@yahoo-inc.com.

I like the fact that Pelini admires Watson and realizes who he is and what he means to Nebraska. I also like the fact that Watson himself knows what he can mean to Nebraska and that he has a great opportunity to show everyone what he can do in Nebraska.

It is also apparent that Bo knows that Watson's time here is probably going to be limited, knowing that he is HC material. At least we won't be blindsided when it does happen for Watson. I personally hope that he just likes Nebraska and the fans here so much that he won't want to leave...but I am also realistic, thinking he wouldn't be as good as he is if he weren't a little ambitious.