Lady Huskers Sweep #2 Stanford

OMAHA — There was a rumor going around Qwest Center Omaha on Friday night that it was Belmont University’s coach who gave Nebraska its only No. 1 vote in the preseason AVCA coaches’ poll.

If so, that Deane Webb’s a pretty smart guy.

Nebraska, ranked No. 7 in the preseason and having replaced four All-Americans from a year ago, came out of the locker room playing like a national-title contender. In the opening match of the Runza/AVCA Showcase, the Huskers overwhelmed No. 2 Stanford with attacking serves and precise passes.

The end result was a somewhat stunning 25-17, 25-19, 26-24 win.

“Especially this fresh in the season, it shows us where we can be. It sets a high standard,” said sophomore Tara Mueller, who in just her second career start at outside hitter came up with 15 kills on 31 swings.

Mueller delivered the final two points, capping a brilliant comeback that saw Nebraska overcome a 24-21 deficit. After Foluke Akinradewo served into the net on the first of Stanford’s three set-point opportunities, Jordan Larson stepped back and ripped four serves in succession that stressed the Cardinal’s defense.

“That was one of the gutsiest serving performances I’ve ever seen,” said NU coach John Cook, who with arms raised, screamed “Yes” as Mueller drove home the winning point.

Mueller’s big night, and equally impressive offensive showings from Lindsey Licht and Kori Cooper, helped to make up for what was a tough night for Larson offensively.

The senior All-American, a .279 hitter in 100 career matches, hit .000 against the Cardinal (nine kills and nine errors). But what doesn’t show up in the stats, beyond her three aces, was how she controlled the match with her passing and defense.

“Teams are going to try to stop her, but as I’ve said, she can win a match with any skill,” Cook said.

Nebraska last defeated a higher-ranked opponent in the Huskers’ national championship season of 2000. Then, a fourth-ranked NU team edged No. 3 UCLA in five games in an early season tournament.

The No. 7 ranking in the AVCA poll tied the worst starting point for Nebraska in the past 25 years. Even Cook said he didn’t know what to expect from his relatively young team.

“I probably felt more uncertain about how we would play tonight than in many, many years, but I knew this team would compete really hard,” he said. “It’s a first step for this team to start believing in themselves and that they can be a great team and compete with the best.

“Stanford knows that they can play with anybody. USC, Texas, Penn State, they know. We’ve had so many changes and so much turnover, we don’t know.”

Cook, however, knew enough to stress that Nebraska would have to be a great serving and passing team to be competitive. That was never more evident than Friday’s match, one where Nebraska served eight aces and allowed none.

The Huskers held Akinradewo, the Stanford middle blocker who hit an NCAA-best .499 last season, to six kills on .125 hitting. Cynthia Barboza led Stanford with 10 kills.

Stanford coach John Dunning said the match was a good learning experience for his team, which like Nebraska, was breaking in a new setter. Dunning, however, wasn’t among those surprised by the Huskers’ effort.

“They’ve been good for a long time,” he said. “You don’t replace people, you just find a different way to do it, and they did a really nice job of that tonight.”

After Mueller’s kill erased Stanford’s second set-point opportunity, Cooper tied the match with a big solo block of Barboza. With the crowd of 7,529 roaring, Mueller followed with another kill, this one set up by Rachel Schwartz’s impressive cover of a near Stanford block. Then came the match winner.

“I really didn’t know what to expect, but I made sure I was going to have fun tonight,” Cook said. “This team is playing with a tremendous joy and passion right now.

“We did some really good things.”

linkage

---------------

Tara Mueller is amazing. That's all I have to say.