O-line play, D-line play

zoogs

I'm most interested in how we've been doing on the lines. I think we saw that the defensive line has been stepping it up since last year, when they were a major disappointment, although it's not as if we've gone against marquee O-lines, and it's not as if they dominated

In particular I want to talk about the O-line. Murtha hasn't played yet; what's the deal with him? Is he being kept out as a precaution? It hasn't seemed like anything serious. Have our senior guards, Slauson and Huff, lived up to their veteran status or have they disappointed?

What about the new guys? Jacob Hickman is (kind of) new as center; how has he been holding down what is admittedly probably the least important position on the line?

Now, at RT, has redshirt freshman Marcel Jones been holding his own? He was supposed to have made a lot of progress in fall camp with Burkes out. Who is behind Jones, anyway?

At LT - I'm guessing it's still Smith and Burkes here, in that order. Well, how is Mike Smith doing guarding the Ganzinator's blindside? (if he has a blindside <_< ) Smith is a bit undersized at 285 pounds...does he make up for that with agility? Burkes is a huge dude, and I believe it was he that got beat on that first sack today. Shouldn't Burkes be a right tackle? Or can he be just fine at left?

What about Keith Williams - we've heard a lot about him, I believe, as a player likely to emerge from the 2nd string. Has he played so far? What are his chances of playing?

I could be way off, but I'm wondering if the O-line just can't distinguish between run-blocking and pass-blocking...it almost looks like they are being 'preventative' on every run play...there are absolutely NO holes opening up anywhere...i've noticed that all run yardage is coming on the corners, which is mostly being provided by blocking of tight ends and receivers...this really shouldn't be what is going on. I'll have to watch the game again, but just looks to me what is happening.