My Trip to Lincoln

husker rob

Ok here are my observations from my trip to Lincoln to watch NU play NMSU on Saturday.

I left Hastings about 12:15pm and stopped to get a coffee to drink on the way, when I realized that I had left the tickets at the house. I called the wife and told her were they were and asked her to meet me outside with them. Luckily we had only driven about 10 blocks so it was not that big of a deal, but driving back to the house, my 21 year old son said "I hope that this is not an omen of things to come" (no sh#t)

I stop by Wal-mart to get a battery and an SD card for my new camera, and I find a 2 GB for $20, but could have gotten a 16 GB SDHC for $45 at newegg.com but what the hell, Wal-mart didnt have one that big, and the dont price match anyway.

(oh yeah the game)

Got to Lincoln around 2:30 and decided to go to Scheels and check some stuff out, and see if I could get a foam "Cornhead" hat for my 4 yr old. But no, they sold the last one as I was walking up to the shelf, and they had no more in the back either. (4 yr old might forget.........yeah right). Scheels is crazy and if you have never been to one, make it a point to go, they have everything.

We start heading toward the stadium, and I take 27th St north to O St, thinking this would probably be the quickest way. On a normal day it probably would have been, but not when O St is closed for construction. So I get detoured to the Rosa Park Expressway, and end up taking it back to the interstate, to Cornhusker Hwy, and to the parking lot. So if you go to Scheels on game day before the game, do yourself a favor and take Hwy 2 back to I80 and back toward the stadium and avoid O st all together. (until construction is done)

So , 2 hrs before kickoff, and because of the construction SNAFU, we missed the Walk of Champions, and decided to go ahead and make our way to the seats. If you have not been to a night game in Lincoln, you are missing out. There seems to be a different type of electricity around and in the stadium than a normal game day atmosphere.

Walking up to the stadium, I noticed a few people holding tickets up for sale, but saw more people wanting to buy than people selling. I am sure there were more towards downtown.

On the first play from scrimmage, I think it was Hagg, if the defender would have looked for the ball earlier, he could have intercepted the ball, but a good play to knock the ball away at the last minute. Next they line up in that "Pistol" or what ever you want to call it, formation and I lean over to my son and tell him watch, the running back is going to take a direct snap. If I could pick it up that easy, why couldnt someone in the coaches booth pick it up. Anyway the defense looked alittle flat during the first drive, but after Potter blocked the field goal attempt, minus a few missed assignments and penaltys, the defense stepped up and played the best so far.

Cameron Meredith got in for a few plays, and showed that he has some good speed coming off of the edge. I dont want to come out and say it yet, but he looked like Grant Wistrom did when he played as a freshman. Time will tell, but I think Cameron is going to be very good.

Lance Thorell #23, who the hell is this kid and where did he come from?????? RS Freshman from Loomis NE, did anyone really know anything about this kid before the game? Man this kid was around the ball all night long, and if he continues he will have a scholarship in his pocket at the end of the year.

Does the defense deserve the "Blackshirts" after this game? Not yet, you have to remember this was NMSU not VT or MU. Some of the players deserve them because they have stood out all year, but if Bo is going to wait to hand them all out once the entire defense has earned them, then we are still not there yet.

Offensively if you watched the game or listened to it, there is nothing really special that stood out. Helu still looks like he is a better all around RB even with Lucky's good game. Lucky seemed timid and looked like he didnt want to put his head down and runs to upright to me.

Ganz looked to make a couple of mistakes, but hell nobody is perfect, Running the ball and him dropping his shoulder for the extra yards, or for the touchdown was awesome. Nothing like that pu&&y sliding that NMSU used all night.

McNeal's catch and run for the TD looked amazing, but they didnt show the replay of it because it was reviewed.

It was good to see Witt and Lee get into the game and get some snaps in, but damn Witt better learn how to recieve the ball from the center. Those 7 points that NMSU scored was not the defense's fault, that has to go on the shoulders of the offense.

Marcus Mendosa is fast, and is going to be a weapon in the near future, just a matter of time

It was a great game to watch and attend, but dont read into the outcome of this game and the numbers that were put up. You have to remember that this was NMSU, while I am sure that they are better than some of the rest of the Big 12 out of confrence teams, they are not much better then 1-AA. I am sure that some 1-AA teams could beat them. It could be the fact that this was their first game of the year, due to Nichols St having to reschedule the opener because of Hurricane Gustaf.

NU's top offensive production in history came against NMSU, 800+ yards awhile back.

Oh yeah, about 4 minutes left in the game, Larry the Cable Guy, started throwing out sandwichs from his Skybox. Got a couple of pics of that , but no food, so I cant tell you how the rich people live, in the Skyboxes.

Great game, lots of fun, and cant wait to do it again. Hopefully before I leave for Germany.

I am coming up for the VT game for the tailgate, and hope to score some tickets. Look forward to seeing everyone there

Rob