Recruit Jemal Farmer

From today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette

THE RECRUITING GUY: Basketball recruit feels ‘love’ on visit

By Richard Davenport

Friday, September 26, 2008

LITTLE ROCK — Arkansas hosted two basketball prospects - power forward Jeremy Jacobs of Chipola (Fla.) Community College and guard Jemal Farmer of Cloud (Kan.) Community College - on official visits last weekend for the Alabama game.

Farmer came away with positive vibes from coaches and current Razorbacks players.

“All of the players showed me love,” said Farmer, who noted that Coach John Pelphrey and assistants Tom Ostrom and Isaac Brown also made him feel comfortable. “All of them were real cool. I felt welcomed.”

Farmer, 6-5, 213 pounds, 40-inch vertical jump, averaged 16.1 points and 5.4 rebounds as a freshman and earned first-team all-conference honors in the Jayhawk Conference Western Division. He visited Alabama-Birmingham on Sept. 12-14 before arriving in Fayetteville.

The visit was Farmer’s second trip to the Arkansas campus. He participated in the Real Deal on the Hill basketball tournament two years ago.

“I already knew coming down about all of the facilities and them being real nice because I’ve been down there before,” Farmer said. “I didn’t expect everybody to be so cool because sometimes you go to different schools, you can tell the players are like - ‘Who is this guy?’ But everyone was cool. That was the biggest thing.”

Farmer attended the Arkansas-Alabama football game with his host, freshman forward Brandon Moore, and afterward spent time at Pelphrey’s house.

“Everyone was over there eating and talking,” Farmer said. “After that I got to watch some film and talked with Coach Pelphrey for a long time. As for their style of play, that will fit me good. That’s the style I want to play like the defense, pressing, run and gun, set screens. I like that. I know he [Pelphrey] gets intense when he’s coaching but he seems like a real cool dude. I can see myself there.”

Farmer said plans to take an official visit to Nebraska this weekend and had planned to visit Kansas State but that appears to be in doubt.

“I’m supposed to go to Kansas State Oct. 4th but I’m not sure,” said Farmer, who played at Bloom Township High School in Chicago. “I’m definitely going to Nebraska and maybe after thatI’ll make a decision. It might be about time. Right now they’re [Arkansas] at the top right now.”

Down to Arkansas and Nebraska...

THE RECRUITING GUY: Hogs, Cornhuskers in fight for junior college guard

By Richard Davenport

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

LITTLE ROCK — Junior college guard Jemal Farmer will probably decide later this week whether he’ll be a Razorback or a Cornhusker.

Farmer, 6-5, 213 pounds, of Cloud Community College in Kansas, made an official visit to Arkansas on Sept. 19-21 and to Nebraska this past weekend, and he said he’s torn between the two schools.

“It’s really between those two,” said Farmer, who averaged 16.1 points and 5.4 rebounds per game last season. “Its pros and cons with both of them. It’s going to be a hard decision. You can’t really go wrong with either one of them. One second, I like Nebraska better, and another second, I like Arkansas better.”

Farmer earned first-team all-conference honors in the Jayhawk Western Division. The week before his visit to Fayetteville, he visited Alabama-Birmingham, but Farmer said he’s eliminated the Blazers.

“This week is going to be stressful for me,” Farmer said. “But I think it will be all right. I think wherever I go, if I choose Arkansas, I’m just going to ride with it and not look back, and it’s the same thing with Nebraska.”

After his visit to Arkansas, Farmer said he felt very comfortable with the Razorbacks players and coaches. He said the visitto Lincoln was pretty much the same.

Farmer talked about the positives for the Hogs.

“I love the conference, the SEC,” he said. “It has a lot of tradition, and Arkansas has it, too. I like Coach [John] Pelphrey and Coach [isaac] Brown. I connected with the players.”

Greenwood native and Nebraska Coach Doc Sadler’s background of coaching at Arkansas- Fort Smith for five years and his history of playing junior college players are pluses for the Huskers, according to Farmer.

“Coach Sadler is a juco [junior college] guy,” Farmer said. “He coached the jucos and traditionally his juco guys have played and started and been successful under his wing. That’s a big thing for me because I’m a juco guy.”

Farmer said making the right decision is even more important since he’s a junior college player.

”There isn’t no transferring unless you transfer to a D-2 school,” he said. “You have to make sure you make a good choice.”

There isn’t no transferring unless you transfer to a D-2 school,” he said. “You have to make sure you make a good choice.”

hopefully he'll come here and learn to be a touch better with his grammar!!

anyways, did anyone hear how this visit went? or when it was? i'm assuming since he was going to go to k-state on the 4th he was coming here 1st?

Crap - committed to Arkansas. From today's Arkansas Democrat Gazettee...

Juco guard makes oral commitment to Hogs

By Richard Davenport

Thursday, October 2, 2008

LITTLE ROCK — Arkansas men’s basketball Coach John Pelphrey has picked up his second oral commitment for the 2009 recruiting class.

Junior college guard Jemal Farmer announced Wednesday afternoon that he plans to play basketball for Arkansas.

Farmer, 6-5, 213 pounds, plays at Cloud Community College in Concordia, Kan., and chose the Razorbacks over Nebraska, Kansas State and Alabama-Birmingham.

“I felt comfortable with the style of play,” said Farmer, a Chicago native. “I feel like the way Arkansas plays. That’s how I want to play. I felt comfortable with Coach Pelphrey and [assistant Isaac Brown], just all of the coaches.

“I like the tradition. Arkansas has had so many good players come out of there.”

Farmer, who possesses a 40-inch vertical jump, averaged 16.1 points and 5.4 rebounds a game last season while earning all-conference honors in the Jayhawk Western Division.

Choosing the Hogs wasn’t easy because the Cornhuskers had recruited Farmer for more than a year.

“It was a hard decision because I really felt close to Nebraska,” said Farmer, who made an official visit to Lincoln, Neb., over the weekend. “It was a real tough decision, but I felt like I made the right one.”

Arkansas plans to use Farmer as a shooting guard next season, Farmer said.

“I feel confident in my game, and they feel confident in me,” he said. “I expect to come in next year and have an immediate impact.”

Farmer joins power Marshawn Powell as oral commitments to Arkansas. Powell, a 6-7, 220-pound forward from The Miller School in Charlottesville, Va., committed to the Hogs in August.

Oral commitments are nonbinding.