My intake of the Game

Apathy

First of all I would like to congrat our defense for not giving in and giving up on us, it was a hard fought game in the second half and I think that we should've one this game but the better team won. I thought that our Offense looked horrible and our Offensive Line was terrible. We didn't get into a rhythm at all in the first half and our secondary needs a lot of improvement. Here are a few things that I want to point out:

Offensive Lineman: Our Offensive Line is horrible, they can't pass or run block. I think that Slauson is VERY over rated and he's the type of player that talks a lot to the media and just really doesn't back up his talk. A few weeks ago he was talking about the pancake block stat and I've yet seen him pancake anybody. I don't think that Murtha, Smith, Hickman, Slauson are really where they should be in the running game. Coming into the season our Offense was are stronger part and this game just proved on how worthless our running game was.

Lucky: This kid just needs to put his shoulder down and just run up field.....too much dancing going on behind the line of scrimmage. He's just got to find a hole and shoot up it. Roy Helu doesn't dance at all and he picks up major yardage because he finds a hole and shoots up in it and less dancing. I think that Lucky should still be our #1 running back but he needs to limit the dancing and just run up field more.

Blitz: Why didn't we blitz VT QB a whole lot. I remember only one Blitz and that was in the 3rd quarter and Taylor just suffocated and didn't know what to do with the ball and lost like 2-3 yards. I thought that we should've game in this ball game to put more pressure on Taylor forcing him to make a lot of mental mistakes with the football.

Secondary: Our Secondary is HORRIBLE and Larry Asante is another Cortney Grixby in my eyes. Asante can't even cover a WR and he literally watches the guy run right past him on that punt block. I just didn't get it, it seemed that everytime VT WR's would catch a ball, we were always 5-10 yards away from the guy and we weren't blitzing so where were our LB's too????

Special Teams: Our Special Teams are better than our Offense and that's really sad. I think that we got more yards on Special Teams than we did on overall yards for Offense. Our Special Teams are just UNBELIEVABLE and hats off to Swift for bring back some momentum on his 86 yd TD.

Questionable Late Hit Call: Once I saw one of our players hit the kid out of bounds I thought right away "That could've been a late hit call" and then all of a sudden here comes flying a flag. I jumped up out of my seat and started yelling at the TV, I then threw my pillow on the ground walked off toward another direction screaming and yelling and saying that was stupid and stuff. I did not see the replay of the hit but from what I've heard from other NON-Husker fans that we got screwed. My buddy in Colorado Springs who doesn't like College Football watched the game and said that we got screwed. I'm hoping that someone will have that on Youtube so I can rewatch it. I think that whether or not if it was or was not a late hit call, I think that Suh just needs to slow down and realize that the QB wasn't going to make the 1st down and not only should Suh realize this but all of the other Husker players.

Bo's unsportsmanlike penalty: I don't think that Bo cost us the game and nor do I think that this call should've been called. With the way some Officals are calling games lately is just terrible and it's not only in College either but in the Pros. I think that it's BS that the ACC referees had to ref this game, I just wished that it was a Non ACC and Big 12 refereeing the game and I hope that stuff like this is looked at and a new rule comes out. I thought that the referee's put themselves into the game in which they shouldn've have belong in there in the first place. I'm not upset at Bo for getting this penalty and neither should all of you other Husker fans because unlike Callahan, Bo is sticking up for our players and for something that he thought wasn't a penalty.

Conclussion: I don't know if I really want to watch the game for next Saturday as we'll get our A$$ES kicked and then some. I think that our Offense is terrible and needs improved but I think that we did a great job in hanging in there with VT. You got to give credit to VT for giving us one hell of a game. I think that we could've won this game but we had a lot of miss coverages and stupid penalties. Do I think that we are heading in the right direction, Yes but it's going to take a lot longer than predicted. With this loss under our belts, I actually see us lossing to MU, TT, OU, and possibly CU. I think that it's going to be a long season and I hope that our kids learn from this and come to play HARDER come next Saturday because we'll need it.

C'mon Jock it's not all doom and gloom! Although to be honest we did look pretty sad at times, Asante in particular looked...well just lazy.

The penalty on Bo, I don't hold it against him. You're right, he was sticking up for his player. I actually got a call from a buddy up in Omaha after the penalty who thought Bo should be canned for getting that flag. (How this guy managed to get drunker than me is mystifying because I put alot of effort into it) Anyway, talk like that is rediculous. At least the players know their coach will go to bat for them.

And yeah, Suh hit the guy out of bounds, what pissed me off about that penalty though is that while technically correct, I just didn't think it was the type of vicious cheap shot the rule was designed to prevent. Just my oppinion though.

And you WILL watch next week's game Jock!! One line from your tirade that I thought was particularly on target (I'm a big fan of the tirades btw) was that nobody seems to be giving credit to VT for the way they played. Hell, my hat's off to the guys. Imagine... Coach Beamer being prepared for a game....what a shock.

First of all I would like to congrat our defense for not giving in and giving up on us, it was a hard fought game in the second half and I think that we should've one this game but the better team won. I thought that our Offense looked horrible and our Offensive Line was terrible. We didn't get into a rhythm at all in the first half and our secondary needs a lot of improvement. Here are a few things that I want to point out:

Offensive Lineman: Our Offensive Line is horrible, they can't pass or run block. I think that Slauson is VERY over rated and he's the type of player that talks a lot to the media and just really doesn't back up his talk. A few weeks ago he was talking about the pancake block stat and I've yet seen him pancake anybody. I don't think that Murtha, Smith, Hickman, Slauson are really where they should be in the running game. Coming into the season our Offense was are stronger part and this game just proved on how worthless our running game was.

Lucky: This kid just needs to put his shoulder down and just run up field.....too much dancing going on behind the line of scrimmage. He's just got to find a hole and shoot up it. Roy Helu doesn't dance at all and he picks up major yardage because he finds a hole and shoots up in it and less dancing. I think that Lucky should still be our #1 running back but he needs to limit the dancing and just run up field more.

Blitz: Why didn't we blitz VT QB a whole lot. I remember only one Blitz and that was in the 3rd quarter and Taylor just suffocated and didn't know what to do with the ball and lost like 2-3 yards. I thought that we should've game in this ball game to put more pressure on Taylor forcing him to make a lot of mental mistakes with the football.

Secondary: Our Secondary is HORRIBLE and Larry Asante is another Cortney Grixby in my eyes. Asante can't even cover a WR and he literally watches the guy run right past him on that punt block. I just didn't get it, it seemed that everytime VT WR's would catch a ball, we were always 5-10 yards away from the guy and we weren't blitzing so where were our LB's too????

Special Teams: Our Special Teams are better than our Offense and that's really sad. I think that we got more yards on Special Teams than we did on overall yards for Offense. Our Special Teams are just UNBELIEVABLE and hats off to Swift for bring back some momentum on his 86 yd TD.

Questionable Late Hit Call: Once I saw one of our players hit the kid out of bounds I thought right away "That could've been a late hit call" and then all of a sudden here comes flying a flag. I jumped up out of my seat and started yelling at the TV, I then threw my pillow on the ground walked off toward another direction screaming and yelling and saying that was stupid and stuff. I did not see the replay of the hit but from what I've heard from other NON-Husker fans that we got screwed. My buddy in Colorado Springs who doesn't like College Football watched the game and said that we got screwed. I'm hoping that someone will have that on Youtube so I can rewatch it. I think that whether or not if it was or was not a late hit call, I think that Suh just needs to slow down and realize that the QB wasn't going to make the 1st down and not only should Suh realize this but all of the other Husker players.

Bo's unsportsmanlike penalty: I don't think that Bo cost us the game and nor do I think that this call should've been called. With the way some Officals are calling games lately is just terrible and it's not only in College either but in the Pros. I think that it's BS that the ACC referees had to ref this game, I just wished that it was a Non ACC and Big 12 refereeing the game and I hope that stuff like this is looked at and a new rule comes out. I thought that the referee's put themselves into the game in which they shouldn've have belong in there in the first place. I'm not upset at Bo for getting this penalty and neither should all of you other Husker fans because unlike Callahan, Bo is sticking up for our players and for something that he thought wasn't a penalty.

Conclussion: I don't know if I really want to watch the game for next Saturday as we'll get our A$$ES kicked and then some. I think that our Offense is terrible and needs improved but I think that we did a great job in hanging in there with VT. You got to give credit to VT for giving us one hell of a game. I think that we could've won this game but we had a lot of miss coverages and stupid penalties. Do I think that we are heading in the right direction, Yes but it's going to take a lot longer than predicted. With this loss under our belts, I actually see us lossing to MU, TT, OU, and possibly CU. I think that it's going to be a long season and I hope that our kids learn from this and come to play HARDER come next Saturday because we'll need it.

It was a late hit. I called it before they threw the flag. I thought our line play on both sides was our downfall. We couldn't run the ball and did not do a good job of stopping the run. VA Tech had the ball for almost 10 more minutes than we did. I really thought we would load up the box to force Taylor into throwing. I was surprised by our lack of blitzing too. We tried one corner blitz that they completed for a 10-15 yd gain. We just didn't bring the heat. No turnovers forced by the Blackshirts. VA Tech had 171 yds passing and 206 yds rushing. Huskers: 55 yds rushing and 279 passing. That tells the story. Tech's INT was big. Got them off to a great start. We have a long way to go to be a top 25 team. I do like the effort and passion. They didn't quit. That is the biggest take away from this game for me. We have to be patient, but I'm optimistic that we're going in the right direction. Go Big Red.